By Editorial Staff
Published April 6, 2008
(Cultural Literacy Quotient)
1. Which is closer to Washington, D.C.: San Diego, California, or Managua, Nicaragua?
2. Name five countries that have coastlines on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
3. True or False: For the Soviet Union to invade Iran they would have to cross through Afghanistan.
4. This great American writer penned the narrative poems Hiawatha and Evangeline.
5. Moses brought the Ten Commandments down from Mount _______.
6. Name the first five presidents of the United States in the correct order.
7. In what year was the Magna Carta written?
8. Name the mountain range which lies between Spain and France.
9. Who composed “The Star Spangled Banner” and what was the occasion which prompted its writing?
10. Who betrayed Jesus Christ and how much did he accept as payment for turning Him in to the authorities?
11. What famous 18th century French historian travelled throughout America during the early days of our founding, writing much about our new system of government?
12. What Roman emperor first proclaimed Christianity a state religion in the Roman Empire, and it what century?
13. What great American military hero said, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”
14. Where in the U.S. were the Wright Brothers first successful in flight?
15. Who was Simon Legree and in what popular American novel did he appear?
16. Who wrote the majority of the New Testament?
17. Which one of the following phrases is not in the Bible: 1) “No man can serve two masters” 2) “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” 3) “Out of the mouths of babes” 4) “strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.”
18. True or False: The Greek poet Homer wrote the famous poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
19. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
20. True or False: “Manifest Destiny” is a doctrine discussed in the New Testament.
Cultural Literacy Test Answers
1. Managua, Nicaragua.
2. Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Colombia, Chile.
4. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
6. George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe.
8. the Pyrenees.
9. Francis Scott Key composed the song during the War of 1812.
10. Judas, for 30 pieces of silver.
11. Francis de Toqueville.
12. Constantine the Great in the 4th century.
13. Nathan Hale.
14. Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
15. the wicked slaveowner in Harriet Beecher Stowe’s novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
16. the Apostle Paul.
17. “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”
18. False. It was written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
19. Thomas Jefferson.
20. False. Manifest Destiny was the idea that Americans should expand their governmental influence throughout the North American continent.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Education
Your comments are welcome!
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
Just what is Calvinism?
Does this teaching make man a deterministic robot and God the author of sin? What about free will? If the church accepts Calvinism, won’t evangelism be stifled, perhaps even extinguished? How can we balance God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility? What are the differences between historic Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Why did men like Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, Whitefield, Edwards and a host of renowned Protestant evangelists embrace the teaching of predestination and election and deny free will theology?
This is the first video documentary that answers these and other related questions. Hosted by Eric Holmberg, this fascinating three-part, four-hour presentation is detailed enough so as to not gloss over the controversy. At the same time, it is broken up into ten “Sunday-school-sized” sections to make the rich content manageable and accessible for the average viewer.
Running Time: 257 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the Real Jesus?
Ever since the dawn of modern rationalism, skeptics have sought to use textual criticism, archeology and historical reconstructions to uncover the “historical Jesus” — a wise teacher who said many wonderful things, but fulfilled no prophecies, performed no miracles and certainly did not rise from the dead in triumph over sin.
Over the past 100 years, however, startling discoveries in biblical archeology and scholarship have all but vanquished the faulty assumptions of these doubting modernists. Regrettably, these discoveries have often been ignored by the skeptics as well as by the popular media. As a result, the liberal view still holds sway in universities and impacts the culture and even much of the church.
The Real Jesus explodes the myths of these critics and the movies, books and television programs that have popularized their views. Presented in ten parts — perfect for individual, family and classroom study — viewers will be challenged to go deeper in their knowledge of Christ in order to be able to defend their faith and present the truth to a skeptical modern world – that the Jesus of the Gospels is the Jesus of history — “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). He is the real Jesus.
Speakers include: George Grant, Ted Baehr, Stephen Mansfield, Raymond Ortlund, Phil Kayser, David Lutzweiler, Jay Grimstead, J.P. Holding, and Eric Holmberg.
Ten parts, over two hours of instruction!
Running Time: 130 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)