By Editorial Staff
Published April 6, 2008
(Cultural Literacy Quotient)
1. Which is closer to Washington, D.C.: San Diego, California, or Managua, Nicaragua?
2. Name five countries that have coastlines on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
3. True or False: For the Soviet Union to invade Iran they would have to cross through Afghanistan.
4. This great American writer penned the narrative poems Hiawatha and Evangeline.
5. Moses brought the Ten Commandments down from Mount _______.
6. Name the first five presidents of the United States in the correct order.
7. In what year was the Magna Carta written?
8. Name the mountain range which lies between Spain and France.
9. Who composed “The Star Spangled Banner” and what was the occasion which prompted its writing?
10. Who betrayed Jesus Christ and how much did he accept as payment for turning Him in to the authorities?
11. What famous 18th century French historian travelled throughout America during the early days of our founding, writing much about our new system of government?
12. What Roman emperor first proclaimed Christianity a state religion in the Roman Empire, and it what century?
13. What great American military hero said, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”
14. Where in the U.S. were the Wright Brothers first successful in flight?
15. Who was Simon Legree and in what popular American novel did he appear?
16. Who wrote the majority of the New Testament?
17. Which one of the following phrases is not in the Bible: 1) “No man can serve two masters” 2) “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” 3) “Out of the mouths of babes” 4) “strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.”
18. True or False: The Greek poet Homer wrote the famous poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
19. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
20. True or False: “Manifest Destiny” is a doctrine discussed in the New Testament.
Cultural Literacy Test Answers
1. Managua, Nicaragua.
2. Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Colombia, Chile.
4. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
6. George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe.
8. the Pyrenees.
9. Francis Scott Key composed the song during the War of 1812.
10. Judas, for 30 pieces of silver.
11. Francis de Toqueville.
12. Constantine the Great in the 4th century.
13. Nathan Hale.
14. Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
15. the wicked slaveowner in Harriet Beecher Stowe’s novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
16. the Apostle Paul.
17. “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”
18. False. It was written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
19. Thomas Jefferson.
20. False. Manifest Destiny was the idea that Americans should expand their governmental influence throughout the North American continent.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Education
Your comments are welcome!
“Give me liberty or give me death!”
Patrick Henry’s famous declaration not only helped launch the War for Independence, it also perfectly summarized the mindset that gave birth to, and sustained, the unprecedented experiment in Christian liberty that was America.
The freedom our Founders envisioned was not freedom from suffering, want, or hard work. Nor was it freedom to indulge every appetite or whim without restraint—that would merely be servitude to a different master. No, the Founders’ passion was to live free before God, unfettered by the chains of autocracy, shackles that slowly but inexorably bind men when the governments they fashion fail to recognize and uphold freedom’s singular, foundational truth: that all men are created in the image of God, and are thereby co-equally endowed with the right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
This presentation is a similar call, not to one but many. By reintroducing the principles of freedom that gave birth to America, it is our prayer that Jesus, the true and only ruler over the nations, will once again be our acknowledged Sovereign, that we may again know and exult in the great truth that “where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty” (2 Cor. 3:17).
Welcome to the Second American Revolution!
This DVD features “Liberty: The Model of Christian Liberty” along with “Dawn’s Early Light: A Brief History of America’s Christian Foundations.” Bonus features include a humorous but instructive collection of campaign ads and Eric Holmberg’s controversial YouTube challenge concerning Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the Real Jesus?
Ever since the dawn of modern rationalism, skeptics have sought to use textual criticism, archeology and historical reconstructions to uncover the “historical Jesus” — a wise teacher who said many wonderful things, but fulfilled no prophecies, performed no miracles and certainly did not rise from the dead in triumph over sin.
Over the past 100 years, however, startling discoveries in biblical archeology and scholarship have all but vanquished the faulty assumptions of these doubting modernists. Regrettably, these discoveries have often been ignored by the skeptics as well as by the popular media. As a result, the liberal view still holds sway in universities and impacts the culture and even much of the church.
The Real Jesus explodes the myths of these critics and the movies, books and television programs that have popularized their views. Presented in ten parts — perfect for individual, family and classroom study — viewers will be challenged to go deeper in their knowledge of Christ in order to be able to defend their faith and present the truth to a skeptical modern world – that the Jesus of the Gospels is the Jesus of history — “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). He is the real Jesus.
Speakers include: George Grant, Ted Baehr, Stephen Mansfield, Raymond Ortlund, Phil Kayser, David Lutzweiler, Jay Grimstead, J.P. Holding, and Eric Holmberg.
Ten parts, over two hours of instruction!
Running Time: 130 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“When the lives of the unborn are snuffed out, they often feel pain, pain that is long and agonizing.” – President Ronald Reagan to National Religious Broadcasters Convention, January 1981
Ronald Reagan became convinced of this as a result of watching The Silent Scream – a movie he considered so powerful and convicting that he screened it at the White House. More recently, it was by catching just a glimpse of what this film reveals that Planned Parenthood director and abortion advocate Abby Johnson turned and became a strong advocate for the pre-born.
The modern technology of real-time ultrasound now reveals the actual responses of a 12-week old fetus to being aborted. As the unborn child attempts to escape the abortionist’s suction curette, her motions can be seen to become desperately agitated and her heart rate doubles. Her mouth opens – as if to scream – but no sound can come out. Her scream doesn’t have to remain silent, however … not if you will become her voice. This newly re-mastered version features eight language tracks and two bonus videos.
“…a high technology “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” arousing public opinion just as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 antislavery novel ignited the abolitionist movement.” – Sen. Gordon Humphrey, Time Magazine
Languages: English, Spanish, French, South Korean, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese
Running Time: 28 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)