By Editorial Staff
Published April 6, 2008
(Cultural Literacy Quotient)
1. Which is closer to Washington, D.C.: San Diego, California, or Managua, Nicaragua?
2. Name five countries that have coastlines on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
3. True or False: For the Soviet Union to invade Iran they would have to cross through Afghanistan.
4. This great American writer penned the narrative poems Hiawatha and Evangeline.
5. Moses brought the Ten Commandments down from Mount _______.
6. Name the first five presidents of the United States in the correct order.
7. In what year was the Magna Carta written?
8. Name the mountain range which lies between Spain and France.
9. Who composed “The Star Spangled Banner” and what was the occasion which prompted its writing?
10. Who betrayed Jesus Christ and how much did he accept as payment for turning Him in to the authorities?
11. What famous 18th century French historian travelled throughout America during the early days of our founding, writing much about our new system of government?
12. What Roman emperor first proclaimed Christianity a state religion in the Roman Empire, and it what century?
13. What great American military hero said, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”
14. Where in the U.S. were the Wright Brothers first successful in flight?
15. Who was Simon Legree and in what popular American novel did he appear?
16. Who wrote the majority of the New Testament?
17. Which one of the following phrases is not in the Bible: 1) “No man can serve two masters” 2) “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” 3) “Out of the mouths of babes” 4) “strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.”
18. True or False: The Greek poet Homer wrote the famous poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
19. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
20. True or False: “Manifest Destiny” is a doctrine discussed in the New Testament.
Cultural Literacy Test Answers
1. Managua, Nicaragua.
2. Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Colombia, Chile.
4. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
6. George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe.
8. the Pyrenees.
9. Francis Scott Key composed the song during the War of 1812.
10. Judas, for 30 pieces of silver.
11. Francis de Toqueville.
12. Constantine the Great in the 4th century.
13. Nathan Hale.
14. Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
15. the wicked slaveowner in Harriet Beecher Stowe’s novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
16. the Apostle Paul.
17. “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”
18. False. It was written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
19. Thomas Jefferson.
20. False. Manifest Destiny was the idea that Americans should expand their governmental influence throughout the North American continent.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Education
Your comments are welcome!
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
What is true Revival and Spiritual Awakening?
Discover the answer in this eyewitness account by Dennis Kinlaw, President of Asbury College, Wilmore, Kentucky, who recounts the story of a visitation of the Holy Spirit in 1970. This is the presentation that has continued to spark the flames of Revival in the hearts of people around the world. Contains eyewitness footage from the Revival at Asbury College in 1970 in Wilmore, Kentucky.
Certain to challenge you to greater holiness and a deeper commitment to full-scale revival. Original news and private footage has been included. If you are a student who longs to see a spiritual awakening at your school, you must see this video!
“This simple video does a wonderful job of conveying something of God’s heart and power, Everyone we have ever shown this to has received an immediate impartation of faith for revival and the power of prayer.”
— Bob and Rose Weiner, Weiner Ministries Int’l
Running Time: 40 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“When the lives of the unborn are snuffed out, they often feel pain, pain that is long and agonizing.” – President Ronald Reagan to National Religious Broadcasters Convention, January 1981
Ronald Reagan became convinced of this as a result of watching The Silent Scream – a movie he considered so powerful and convicting that he screened it at the White House.
The modern technology of real-time ultrasound now reveals the actual responses of a 12-week old fetus to being aborted. As the unborn child attempts to escape the abortionist’s suction curette, her motions can be seen to become desperately agitated and her heart rate doubles. Her mouth opens – as if to scream – but no sound can come out. Her scream doesn’t have to remain silent, however … not if you will become her voice. This newly re-mastered version features eight language tracks and two bonus videos.
“… a high technology “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” arousing public opinion just as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 antislavery novel ignited the abolitionist movement.” – Sen. Gordon Humphrey, Time Magazine
Languages: English, Spanish, French, South Korean, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese
Running Time: 28 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)