By Editorial Staff
Published April 6, 2008
(Cultural Literacy Quotient)
1. Which is closer to Washington, D.C.: San Diego, California, or Managua, Nicaragua?
2. Name five countries that have coastlines on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
3. True or False: For the Soviet Union to invade Iran they would have to cross through Afghanistan.
4. This great American writer penned the narrative poems Hiawatha and Evangeline.
5. Moses brought the Ten Commandments down from Mount _______.
6. Name the first five presidents of the United States in the correct order.
7. In what year was the Magna Carta written?
8. Name the mountain range which lies between Spain and France.
9. Who composed “The Star Spangled Banner” and what was the occasion which prompted its writing?
10. Who betrayed Jesus Christ and how much did he accept as payment for turning Him in to the authorities?
11. What famous 18th century French historian travelled throughout America during the early days of our founding, writing much about our new system of government?
12. What Roman emperor first proclaimed Christianity a state religion in the Roman Empire, and it what century?
13. What great American military hero said, “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”
14. Where in the U.S. were the Wright Brothers first successful in flight?
15. Who was Simon Legree and in what popular American novel did he appear?
16. Who wrote the majority of the New Testament?
17. Which one of the following phrases is not in the Bible: 1) “No man can serve two masters” 2) “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” 3) “Out of the mouths of babes” 4) “strain at a gnat and swallow a camel.”
18. True or False: The Greek poet Homer wrote the famous poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
19. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
20. True or False: “Manifest Destiny” is a doctrine discussed in the New Testament.
Cultural Literacy Test Answers
1. Managua, Nicaragua.
2. Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Colombia, Chile.
4. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
6. George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe.
8. the Pyrenees.
9. Francis Scott Key composed the song during the War of 1812.
10. Judas, for 30 pieces of silver.
11. Francis de Toqueville.
12. Constantine the Great in the 4th century.
13. Nathan Hale.
14. Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
15. the wicked slaveowner in Harriet Beecher Stowe’s novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
16. the Apostle Paul.
17. “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”
18. False. It was written by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
19. Thomas Jefferson.
20. False. Manifest Destiny was the idea that Americans should expand their governmental influence throughout the North American continent.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Education
Your comments are welcome!
High Quality Paperback — 219 pages
Foundations in Biblical Orthodoxy
Driving down a country road sometime, you might see a church with a sign proudly proclaiming: “No book but the Bible — No creed but Christ.” The problem with this statement is that the word creed (from the Latin: credo) simply means “belief.” All Christians have beliefs, regardless of whether they are written.
Yet a single book containing the actual texts of the most important creeds of the early Church will not often be found. Out of the multitude of works on the evangelical Christian book market today, those dealing with the creeds of the Church are scarce.
Why Creeds and Confessions? provides a foundation of biblical orthodoxy as a defense against the false and truly heretical doctrines advanced by the spirit of this age.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
That Swiss Hermit Strikes Again!
Dr. Schaeffer, who was one of the most influential Christian thinkers in the twentieth century, shows that secular humanism has displaced the Judeo-Christian consensus that once defined our nation’s moral boundaries. Law, education, and medicine have all been reshaped for the worse as a consequence. America’s dominant worldview changed, Schaeffer charges, when Christians weren’t looking.
Schaeffer lists two reasons for evangelical indifference: a false concept of spirituality and fear. He calls on believers to stand against the tyranny and moral chaos that come when humanism reigns-and warns that believers may, at some point, be forced to make the hard choice between obeying God or Caesar. A Christian Manifesto is a thought-provoking and bracing Christian analysis of American culture and the obligation Christians have to engage the culture with the claims of Christ.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)