By Jay Rogers
Published October 1, 1991
An update on the beginning of Predvestnik
MOSCOW (FR) – Predvestnik is now an officially registered Christian youth newspaper in the USSR. The first printing of this publication amounted to 100,000 copies; these are being distributed in over 100 cities throughout Russia and many of the other Republics. However, since the first run of newspapers occurred during the last week of August, it was not accomplished without resistance from the Communist coup attempt led by Genadi Yenayev.
Alexey Salapatov, the managing editor of Predvestnik, was in Moscow during the week of the “Second Russian Revolution” in order to facilitate the printing of the first edition. According to Alexey: “Communism contributed its mite to prevent us.”
Ordering a halt to the printing of all newspapers in the USSR, Yenayev placed Communist troops around the building in which Predvestnik was due to be printed. All paper and supplies were seized. When the coup failed, the orders to print Predvestnik were reissued. However, all the red ink that would have been used in printing the first newspaper had been irretrievably lost.
Rather than wait for extra supplies to be ordered in the slow moving Soviet system, Alexey decided to print the 100,000 copies of the first run of Predvestnik in blue and black ink only.
The first issue of Predvestnik is an eight page newspaper. Some of the articles included are as follows:
- Voice of the New Generation – This article summarizes the current spiritual awakening which is now taking place among Russia’s youth. Millions of Russian Bibles have been distributed in the Soviet Union by Western ministries in an attempt to evangelize the Russian people. Questions are posed – such as: “Are these Bibles being read and understood?” – “Are there biblical answers for the problems which confront our nation?”
- Worldview – An explanation of Biblical worldview is given. There is a Biblical paradigm for every discipline taught in the school curriculum. “Now that the philosophy of Marxist-Leninism has fallen, what worldview will replace it?”
- Christian Youth International – A brief history of this student movement is given. The dates of upcoming monthly conferences in Moscow are given, and students are invited to attend.
- Who is Jesus Christ? – The Russian people are now grasping for Truth in a spiritual vacuum. The claims of New Age, materialist dialectics, and false religion are brushed aside. A Biblical view of the claims of Jesus Christ – the Son of God – is presented.
- Alexander Bolotnikov Testifies – Born a Ukrainian Jew, Alex studied in a Jewish seminary for two years before giving his life to Jesus Christ. (His testimony appears in English in The Forerunner, Summer 1991.) Alex now plans to begin Messianic Jewish Fellowships throughout the USSR.
- The Christian Idea of Man and Government – An adaptation from Verna Hall’s work on the U.S. Constitution, this is the first part of a series of articles on Biblical Christianity and how the writings of Christian philosophers have influenced civil government.
Predvestnik is now one of the major Christian publications in the Soviet Union. Due to the labor of the newspaper’s staff, mass literature evangelism among the Russian speaking youth of the Soviet Union is now a reality.
The next edition of Predvestnik is due out in November; the plan is to do a 16 page, bi-monthly edition in blue, red and black ink which will look similar to The Forerunner. Extra finances are now being raised to tie everything together. The remaining needs are as follows:
1. Finances for the first few press runs. The first few press runs are in need of financial support from American supporters.
2. A laser printer and photo-copier. These two tools make life much easier for an editor. Predvestnik’s staff will have the best equipment available for their needs.
If you would like to see a sample copy of the new 16-page Russian language Forerunner, or, if you are interested in supporting this work financially, write:
P.O. Box 1799
Gainesville, FL 32602
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Russia, Ukraine and former USSR
Your comments are welcome!
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“When the lives of the unborn are snuffed out, they often feel pain, pain that is long and agonizing.” – President Ronald Reagan to National Religious Broadcasters Convention, January 1981
Ronald Reagan became convinced of this as a result of watching The Silent Scream – a movie he considered so powerful and convicting that he screened it at the White House.
The modern technology of real-time ultrasound now reveals the actual responses of a 12-week old fetus to being aborted. As the unborn child attempts to escape the abortionist’s suction curette, her motions can be seen to become desperately agitated and her heart rate doubles. Her mouth opens – as if to scream – but no sound can come out. Her scream doesn’t have to remain silent, however … not if you will become her voice. This newly re-mastered version features eight language tracks and two bonus videos.
“…a high technology “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” arousing public opinion just as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 antislavery novel ignited the abolitionist movement.” – Sen. Gordon Humphrey, Time Magazine
Languages: English, Spanish, French, South Korean, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese
Running Time: 28 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
That Swiss Hermit Strikes Again!
Dr. Schaeffer, who was one of the most influential Christian thinkers in the twentieth century, shows that secular humanism has displaced the Judeo-Christian consensus that once defined our nation’s moral boundaries. Law, education, and medicine have all been reshaped for the worse as a consequence. America’s dominant worldview changed, Schaeffer charges, when Christians weren’t looking.
Schaeffer lists two reasons for evangelical indifference: a false concept of spirituality and fear. He calls on believers to stand against the tyranny and moral chaos that come when humanism reigns-and warns that believers may, at some point, be forced to make the hard choice between obeying God or Caesar. A Christian Manifesto is a thought-provoking and bracing Christian analysis of American culture and the obligation Christians have to engage the culture with the claims of Christ.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)