By Jay Rogers
Published October 1, 1991
An update on the beginning of Predvestnik
MOSCOW (FR) – Predvestnik is now an officially registered Christian youth newspaper in the USSR. The first printing of this publication amounted to 100,000 copies; these are being distributed in over 100 cities throughout Russia and many of the other Republics. However, since the first run of newspapers occurred during the last week of August, it was not accomplished without resistance from the Communist coup attempt led by Genadi Yenayev.
Alexey Salapatov, the managing editor of Predvestnik, was in Moscow during the week of the “Second Russian Revolution” in order to facilitate the printing of the first edition. According to Alexey: “Communism contributed its mite to prevent us.”
Ordering a halt to the printing of all newspapers in the USSR, Yenayev placed Communist troops around the building in which Predvestnik was due to be printed. All paper and supplies were seized. When the coup failed, the orders to print Predvestnik were reissued. However, all the red ink that would have been used in printing the first newspaper had been irretrievably lost.
Rather than wait for extra supplies to be ordered in the slow moving Soviet system, Alexey decided to print the 100,000 copies of the first run of Predvestnik in blue and black ink only.
The first issue of Predvestnik is an eight page newspaper. Some of the articles included are as follows:
- Voice of the New Generation – This article summarizes the current spiritual awakening which is now taking place among Russia’s youth. Millions of Russian Bibles have been distributed in the Soviet Union by Western ministries in an attempt to evangelize the Russian people. Questions are posed – such as: “Are these Bibles being read and understood?” – “Are there biblical answers for the problems which confront our nation?”
- Worldview – An explanation of Biblical worldview is given. There is a Biblical paradigm for every discipline taught in the school curriculum. “Now that the philosophy of Marxist-Leninism has fallen, what worldview will replace it?”
- Christian Youth International – A brief history of this student movement is given. The dates of upcoming monthly conferences in Moscow are given, and students are invited to attend.
- Who is Jesus Christ? – The Russian people are now grasping for Truth in a spiritual vacuum. The claims of New Age, materialist dialectics, and false religion are brushed aside. A Biblical view of the claims of Jesus Christ – the Son of God – is presented.
- Alexander Bolotnikov Testifies – Born a Ukrainian Jew, Alex studied in a Jewish seminary for two years before giving his life to Jesus Christ. (His testimony appears in English in The Forerunner, Summer 1991.) Alex now plans to begin Messianic Jewish Fellowships throughout the USSR.
- The Christian Idea of Man and Government – An adaptation from Verna Hall’s work on the U.S. Constitution, this is the first part of a series of articles on Biblical Christianity and how the writings of Christian philosophers have influenced civil government.
Predvestnik is now one of the major Christian publications in the Soviet Union. Due to the labor of the newspaper’s staff, mass literature evangelism among the Russian speaking youth of the Soviet Union is now a reality.
The next edition of Predvestnik is due out in November; the plan is to do a 16 page, bi-monthly edition in blue, red and black ink which will look similar to The Forerunner. Extra finances are now being raised to tie everything together. The remaining needs are as follows:
1. Finances for the first few press runs. The first few press runs are in need of financial support from American supporters.
2. A laser printer and photo-copier. These two tools make life much easier for an editor. Predvestnik’s staff will have the best equipment available for their needs.
If you would like to see a sample copy of the new 16-page Russian language Forerunner, or, if you are interested in supporting this work financially, write:
P.O. Box 1799
Gainesville, FL 32602
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Russia, Ukraine and former USSR
Your comments are welcome!
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
Just what is Calvinism?
Does this teaching make man a deterministic robot and God the author of sin? What about free will? If the church accepts Calvinism, won’t evangelism be stifled, perhaps even extinguished? How can we balance God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility? What are the differences between historic Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Why did men like Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, Whitefield, Edwards and a host of renowned Protestant evangelists embrace the teaching of predestination and election and deny free will theology?
This is the first video documentary that answers these and other related questions. Hosted by Eric Holmberg, this fascinating three-part, four-hour presentation is detailed enough so as to not gloss over the controversy. At the same time, it is broken up into ten “Sunday-school-sized” sections to make the rich content manageable and accessible for the average viewer.
Running Time: 257 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these six short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)