By Editorial Staff
Published October 1, 1988
Newsweek has led the media in labeling Democratic senator Lloyd Bentsen a “conservative,” saying, “On most major issues, the Democratic vice presidential candidate stands with Bush rather than his running mate.” However, a closer look at Bentsen’s voting record reveals that his views are much more in line with his running mate, Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis.
When Dukakis announced Bentsen as his running mate, in an effort to gain votes from “Reagan Democrats” and the South, he caught political observers off guard; Bentsen was supposedly a “conservative.” His conservativism stems from his support of contra funding, although he voted to authorize $75 million in U.S. aid to the Marxist Sandinista regime in 1980. But we need to look at the facts:
- Pro-abortion votes. Newsweek recently claimed that Bentsen is opposed to abortion, but his voting record reflects a radically different position. The Texas senator has consistently voted to weaken or abolish restrictions on the use of federal funds to finance abortions. On July 29, 1977, he voted to eliminate all prohibitions on the use of federal funds to pay for abortions, and then opposed an attempt to limit federal funding to instances where the mother’s life would be endangered by a full-term pregnancy.
In 1987, Bentsen opposed amendments to bar the use of federal or District of Columbia funds to pay for abortions in the District. He also voted against a proposed constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s Roe vs. Wade decision, which legalized abortion.
- Fiscal policies. On the economy, Newsweek stated that Bentsen supports a constitutional amendment to balance the budget. Again, his voting record reflects an economic philosophy closer to his running mate, Dukakis, rather than Bush. He has voted to either increase taxes or prevent tax reductions. Although he commendably voted against a bill to hike taxes by nearly $100 billion for fiscal year 1983-1985, he later voted against an amendment expressing the sense of the senate that there should be no further tax increases until Congress reduced spending by $3 for every $1 in taxes gained from the 1982 bill (as it had pledged to do).
In 1987, he offered a motion to kill an amendment, which was approved, to express the sense of the Senate, “that the American taxpayer is already overburdened and that … federal tax rates should not be increased in any manner whatsoever, whether direct or indirect, and no new taxes should be created.”
He has also opposed many attempts to reduce the federal deficit by cutting spending. On March 31, 1987, the Senate considered an amendment to cut the Urban Development Action Grant (UDAG) which spends around $225 million annually to encourage business and other investors to revitalize various projects. For example, $3.5 million was given to Florida to renovate hotels; $10 million was given to help develop a festival market mall in Philadelphia; and $15 million was given to clear a site for a new Chrysler Plant in Detroit. Bentsen voted against cutting funds for the program.
- Defense Issues. Although the media has often stated that Bentsen supports the Strategic Defense Initiative, again his record indicates otherwise. On September 17, 1987, he voted to uphold a two-year ban on any testing or development of the SDI that exceeded the narrowest possible interpretation of the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty. The day before that vote, he voted in favor of an amendment which express the sentiment of the Senate that the USSR violated the ABM Treaty. Why would he vote to uphold a ban when he believes the Soviets have violated the ABM Treaty?
Bentsen is one of the few remaining senators who voted in 1978 in favor of giving away the Panama Canal. This was in spite of polls, which demonstrated at the time that 80 percent of Americans opposed this move. According to the U.S./Panama Treaty signed by President Jimmy Carter on September 7, 1977, and ratified by the Senate by one vote, the U.S. agreed to turn over the canal to Panama in 1999.
The treaty was ratified in order to guarantee good relations with Panama and Latin America. However, Panama has no claim to the canal due to U.S. funding of its construction. The canal cost U.S. taxpayers $7 billion.
- Women’s Issues. Like his running mate, Bentsen is an avid supporter of the Equal Rights Amendment. On March 22, 1972, he voted for the ERA. Prior to this vote, he opposed amendments to prevent the ERA from invalidating laws such as those exempting women from compulsory military service, or exempting women from combat duty. When it was obvious in 1978 that ERA had no chance of being ratified within its seven-year time limit, he voted for the 39-month extension of its ratification deadline.
The misrepresentation of Bentsen’s political philosophy and background is either ignorance or a deliberate attempt to mislead voters into believing that they are electing another conservative cut from the same cloth as George Bush. Bentsen’s actual voting record shows otherwise.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
Who is the Real Jesus?
Ever since the dawn of modern rationalism, skeptics have sought to use textual criticism, archeology and historical reconstructions to uncover the “historical Jesus” — a wise teacher who said many wonderful things, but fulfilled no prophecies, performed no miracles and certainly did not rise from the dead in triumph over sin.
Over the past 100 years, however, startling discoveries in biblical archeology and scholarship have all but vanquished the faulty assumptions of these doubting modernists. Regrettably, these discoveries have often been ignored by the skeptics as well as by the popular media. As a result, the liberal view still holds sway in universities and impacts the culture and even much of the church.
The Real Jesus explodes the myths of these critics and the movies, books and television programs that have popularized their views. Presented in ten parts — perfect for individual, family and classroom study — viewers will be challenged to go deeper in their knowledge of Christ in order to be able to defend their faith and present the truth to a skeptical modern world – that the Jesus of the Gospels is the Jesus of history — “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). He is the real Jesus.
Speakers include: George Grant, Ted Baehr, Stephen Mansfield, Raymond Ortlund, Phil Kayser, David Lutzweiler, Jay Grimstead, J.P. Holding, and Eric Holmberg.
Ten parts, over two hours of instruction!
Running Time: 130 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“When the lives of the unborn are snuffed out, they often feel pain, pain that is long and agonizing.” – President Ronald Reagan to National Religious Broadcasters Convention, January 1981
Ronald Reagan became convinced of this as a result of watching The Silent Scream – a movie he considered so powerful and convicting that he screened it at the White House.
The modern technology of real-time ultrasound now reveals the actual responses of a 12-week old fetus to being aborted. As the unborn child attempts to escape the abortionist’s suction curette, her motions can be seen to become desperately agitated and her heart rate doubles. Her mouth opens – as if to scream – but no sound can come out. Her scream doesn’t have to remain silent, however … not if you will become her voice. This newly re-mastered version features eight language tracks and two bonus videos.
“… a high technology “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” arousing public opinion just as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 antislavery novel ignited the abolitionist movement.” – Sen. Gordon Humphrey, Time Magazine
Languages: English, Spanish, French, South Korean, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese
Running Time: 28 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
God’s Law and Society powerfully presents a comprehensive worldview based upon the ethical system found in the Law of God.
Speakers include: R.J. Rushdoony, George Grant, Howard Phillips, R.C. Sproul Jr., Ken Gentry, Gary DeMar, Jay Grimstead, Steven Schlissel, Andrew Sandlin, Eric Holmberg, and more!
Sixteen Christian leaders and scholars answer some of the most common questions and misconceptions related to this volatile issue:
1. Are we under Law or under Grace?
2. Does the Old Testament Law apply today?
3. Can we legislate morality?
4. What are the biblical foundations of government?
5. Was America founded as a Christian nation?
6. What about the separation of Church and State?
7. Is neutrality a myth?
8. What about non-Christians and the Law of God?
9. Would there be “freedom” in a Christian republic?
10. What would a “Christian America” look like?
Perfect for group instruction as well as personal Bible study.
Ten parts, over four hours of instruction!
Running Time: 240 minutes
Watch over 60 on-line video interviews from God’s Law and Society.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)