By Editorial Staff
Published October 1, 1988
- that the United States of America is a needy nation – the AIDS epidemic, abortions, drought, alleged improprieties in government, financial debt and insecurity, etc.
- that the Church of Jesus Christ needs to repent of division, indifference, materialism, secularism, and lack of godliness.
- that we need to turn to God in genuine humility, prayer, and repentance – II Chronicles 7:14.
- that critical times in the Bible often resulted in 40 Days of Prayer.
Moses gave himself to prayer and fasting twice for 40 days on Mt. Sinai. The first time (Exodus 24:18-chapter 33) resulted in receiving major revelation from God – the Ten Commandments, laws, and instructions; and entreating God not to destroy the nation of Israel. The second time (Exodus 34:28-35) the Ten Commandments were renewed. Elijah spent 40 days in prayer on Mt. Horeb (I Kings 19:1-18) for personal renewal. The city of Nineveh humbled themselves, repented, fasted, and prayed for 40 days, and God changed His mind about destroying the city. Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness defeating the devil (Matthew 4:1-11).
- that the present national situation demands extraordinary action.
- that the entire nation is to be called to 40 Days of Prayer September 30 – November 8, 1988 prior to our national election on November 8.
- that all Christians throughout the land are to join in this National 40 Days of Prayer.
- that all prayer ministries in the United States join in calling the nation to 40 Days of Prayer September 30 through November 8.
- that all denominational and other Christian ministry leaders in the United States join in calling their constituents to 40 Days of Prayer.
“… the roots of our greatness as a nation are spiritual and moral. The greatest threat to our civilization is secularization, which has eliminated the spiritual from serious discussion and precipitated epidemic moral decline which exceeds the best and finest efforts of the most powerful. Nothing is clearer than that God alone is able to rescue our decaying society; nothing is clearer than that He waits for His people to reject materialism as a way of life; and that the crisis requires repentance from worldly waywardness and devotion to prayer.”
- Richard C. Halverson
Chaplain, United States Senate
- that prayer ministries, denominational and other Christian ministry groupings, local churches, city-wide groupings, families, and individuals, implement the 40 Days of Prayer as directed by the Holy Spirit.
Some possibilities include: fasting and praying the entire 40 days, fasting and praying for part of the 40 days, having special all-night prayer meetings, having early morning prayer meetings, conducting concerts of prayer, having an around-the-clock prayer chain for the entire 40 days, having special prayer retreats of several days of protracted prayer. Efforts can be sponsored by local churches, all the churches of a given city, denominationally, etc. A great variety of organizational structures can be utilized: be creative; ask God what to do and how to do it; think big, but keep it simple.
- That our turning to God in deep repentance and total dependence needs to become a lifestyle that begins before and continues after the 40 Days of Prayer.
- that reports of significant happenings be sent to the Tacoma address for sharing with others.
For Further Assistance Contact:
National 40 Days of Prayer
6813 North 11th
Tacoma, WA 98406
Blow a trumpet in Zion,
Consecrate a fast, proclaim a solemn assembly,
Gather the people, sanctify the congregation,
Assemble the elders,
Gather the children and the nursing infants.
Let the bridegroom come out of his room
And the bride out of her bridal chamber.
Let the priests, the Lord’s ministers,
Weep between the porch and the altar,
And let them say, “Spare Thy people, O Lord,
And do not make Thine inheritance a reproach,
A byword among the nations.
Why should they among the peoples say,
‘Where is their God?’”
- Joel 2:15-17
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
God’s Law and Society powerfully presents a comprehensive worldview based upon the ethical system found in the Law of God.
Speakers include: R.J. Rushdoony, George Grant, Howard Phillips, R.C. Sproul Jr., Ken Gentry, Gary DeMar, Jay Grimstead, Steven Schlissel, Andrew Sandlin, Eric Holmberg, and more!
Sixteen Christian leaders and scholars answer some of the most common questions and misconceptions related to this volatile issue:
1. Are we under Law or under Grace?
2. Does the Old Testament Law apply today?
3. Can we legislate morality?
4. What are the biblical foundations of government?
5. Was America founded as a Christian nation?
6. What about the separation of Church and State?
7. Is neutrality a myth?
8. What about non-Christians and the Law of God?
9. Would there be “freedom” in a Christian republic?
10. What would a “Christian America” look like?
Perfect for group instruction as well as personal Bible study.
Ten parts, over four hours of instruction!
Running Time: 240 minutes
Watch over 60 on-line video interviews from God’s Law and Society.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these six short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)