By Editorial Staff
Published April 6, 2008
by Solomon Wise
Higher education. It certainly sounds prestigious. It brings to mind a group of serious students in an ivy-covered lecture hall discussing the works of Shakespeare, Jeffersonian demo- cracy, or Adam Smith’s economic principles. But today in America, higher education has taken a nosedive. In many classrooms, Shakespeare, Jefferson, and Smith are out. Marx, Castro, and a host of other radical communist thinkers are in.
And it’s all done quietly and peacefully – and paid for by unknowing parents to the tune of $18,000 a year.
Radical communists teaching in U.S. universities? Surely not. If you don’t believe it, perhaps you should attend the next Marxist Scholars Conference and take a tape player. The most recent of these gatherings, held at the University of California/Berkeley last November, drew 500 American professors and political activists to discuss how they could better disseminate their views into the mainstream of American thought. Their primary target, of course, is the university student.
Here are just of few remarks made at the conference by some of these professors:
- Herbert Apthecker, law professor at the University of California/Berkeley, told the audience that communists will create a “Heaven on earth.”
- Another UC/Berkeley professor, Carlos Munoz of the Chicano Studies department, proclaimed that “This empire (of America) will fall, and we will contribute to its fall.” Munoz went on to explain that the large-scale immigration of Hispanics to the U.S. in coming years will make California “the first Third World state” – and that communists plan to control Hispanic votes.
- Philosophy Professor Jack Pitt of California State University/Fresno said that “teaching is important to those of us on the left” because the classroom is one of the “institutions which disseminate ideology that renders [the ruling class’s] control acceptable … it is essential that we see ideology as contested terrain, as one of the sites where the class struggle is waged.” Pitt said he identifies himself as a Marxist to his students only “if it’s a matter of class solidarity.”
- A high school civics teacher from San Francisco, and member of the executive board of the American Federation of Teachers, told the audience that high school students should be a prime target of their doctrines: “Our need, as educators and as Marxists, is to teach our young people what the correct choices are … I teach my students how to find examples of ethnocentrism, Eurocentrism, racism, bias, distortion …”
He also explained that many immigrants who come to America believe “the myth that America is the land of freedom,” and come with anti-communist sentiments. But he assured the audience that he was not giving up the fight:“We need more Third World teachers in our classrooms. We need more Marxists in our classrooms. We need more progressiveness in our classrooms. That’s where the future is: in the classrooms.”
- Roberto Rivera is an ethnic studies professor at San Francisco State University. Rivera explained why he uses the radical teachings of Paulo Freire, a Brazilian revolutionary, to prepare his students for revolution. “The Nicaraguan revolution is where it is,” Rivera said, because they have used Freire sucessfully in the classroom. He also predicted that the communist revolutionary forces in El Salvador and Guatemala would prevail because “they’re using Freire well.”
- Howard University Political Science Professor Michael Parenti pointed out to the audience that the First Amendment is not the enemy, but how it is used by the ruling class. Parenti also added that the appointment of another conservative to the U.S. Supreme Court would “lead to the end of democracy.”
- Ric Holt, a Northwestern Missouri State professor, told the group how he opens students’ minds to Marxist ideas. Early in the semester, he takes students to watch bankrupt farms being auctioned off as “the generations lose everything they own.”
Of all the special guest speakers at the Marxist Scholars Conference, the largest percentage of speakers were professors who hold degrees in traditional academic subjects as well as more recently invented disciplines such as Native American studies, Black studies, and Chicano studies.
Conference organizer Jack Kurzweil of San Jose State University said that the November meeting was the largest Marxist Scholars Conference in history. The principal sponsors were the Marxist Educational Press, directed by a professor from the University of Minnesota, and the Berkeley chapter of the Union of Radical Political Economists.
In early February of this year, Secretary of Education William Bennett made some fiery comments about the academic establishment which drew sparks from college presidents around the nation. Bennett said: “The American people are beginning to wonder whether the emperor – higher education – has any clothes.” Bennett charged that higher education is losing credibility because faculty members are trashing traditional disciplines for trendy, soft-headed courses.
“Is this what parents are being asked to pay $18,000 a year for?” Bennett asked.
Yes, Mr. Bennett, on many American campuses today, parents are paying that kind of money to send professors like Apthecker, Munoz, Pitt, and Parenti to meetings like the one I have described. In their meetings, they are discussing the most practical and effective ways to overthrow the American system as we know it. Parents are also paying roughly $18,000 a year for these radical teachers to indoctrinate their children in hostile ideologies.
The radical elements in U.S. academia say it’s time for revolution. I agree. I say its time for students, parents, and university administrators to revolt against this madness that is being masqueraded as academic curriculum. Pressure needs to be put on these anti-intellectuals: either they change their militant views, or they’re out of a job. It’s time that we Americans stop financing our own downfall.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Education
Your comments are welcome!
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the free Study Guide!
Is there a connection between pagan religion and the abortion industry?
This powerful presentation traces the biblical roots of child sacrifice and then delves into the social, political and cultural fall-out that this sin against God and crime against humanity has produced in our beleaguered society.
Conceived as a sequel and update to the 1988 classic, The Massacre of Innocence, the new title, The Abortion Matrix, is entirely fitting. It not only references abortion’s specific target – the sacred matrix where human beings are formed in the womb in the very image of God, but it also implies the existence of a conspiracy, a matrix of seemingly disparate forces that are driving this holocaust.
The occult activity surrounding the abortion industry is exposed with numerous examples. But are these just aberrations, bizarre yet anomalous examples of abortionists who just happen to have ties to modern day witchcraft? Or is this representative of something deeper, more sinister and even endemic to the entire abortion movement?
As the allusion to the film of over a decade ago suggests, the viewer may learn that things are not always as they appear to be. The Abortion Matrix reveals the reality of child-killing and strikes the proper moral chord to move hearts to fulfill the biblical responsibility to rescue those unjustly sentenced to death and to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves (Proverbs 24:11,12; 31:8,9).
Speakers include: George Grant, Peter Hammond, RC Sproul Jr., Paul Jehle, Lou Engle, Rusty Thomas, Flip Benham, Janet Porter and many more.
Ten parts, over three hours of instruction!
Running Time: 195 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposing The Occult Roots of Abortion
This presentation looks at the spiritual roots of abortion and exposes the myths surrounding child killing. Little known historical facts about abortion and how they relate to modern feminism are presented logically and accurately. Has been effective in converting many to a pro-life position.
Massacre of Innocence goes where no pro-life presentation has gone before in “tearing the lid off abortion” to reveal the spiritual realities we must battle if we will bring an end to this crime. The presentation is absorbing, fast-paced, informative and incredibly devastating to any attempt to justify abortion.
“… an extraordinary statement … a powerfully articulate presentation about what abortion really means, and why a great and moral nation like the United States must not allow the slaughter to continue.”
— Congressman Robert K. Dornan
Running time: 85 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)