By Ivan Squall
Published October 1, 1992
When Ross Perot decided to re-enter the presidential sweepstakes, he deprived Bill Clinton of his uncontested status as the greatest political threat to our nation’s moral and economic future. Thankfully, he is not fooling too many people this time around, so the biggest threat is not the most likely threat. Unfortunately, he may still fool too many disillusioned conservatives, thus handing a tight election to disaster candidate #2.
Perot’s rhetorical appeal uniquely crisscrosses the political spectrum, making strange bedfellows out of voters of both the left and the right. But left wingers have a solid champion in Bill Clinton; they don’t really stand to gain much by signing on to Perot’s longshot bid. Conservatives, however, are much more vulnerable to Perot’s siren call. The great danger is that, in anger or ignorance, just enough of these voters will choose Perot that it will provide the margin of victory to Clinton. Thus they would have actually voted not for the white knight protest candidate, but for the establishment liberal whose vision for this nation stands in stark opposition to the most cherished values of moderate, conservative and Christian America.
So, if you are vacillating between Bush and Perot, let’s make sure you understand that H. Ross is no friend of free markets or family values.
1. How did he make his fortune? Not by satisfying ordinary customers in the marketplace, but by cozying up to welfare state bureaucrats. He is America’s first welfare billionaire, having parlayed his close associations with high ranking government officials in the welfare bureaucracy into exclusive rights to hundreds of millions of dollars in government contracts paid out of our tax dollars. He essentially skimmed off a healthy chunk of the huge money flows that our Great Society programs poured into the welfare system. While Perot wants us to believe he is an amateur in politics, he is really a 30 year veteran of the political/business complex. No special interest lobbyist has ever profited more handsomely because Perot’s special interest extended no further than himself.
2. How did he spend his fortune? Once he got his foot in the front door, Perot then shrewdly reinvested his political influence so as to insure that the golden government spigot would never be turned off. This was accomplished through huge campaign contributions to those federal officials who held the purse strings for the welfare kitty. Campaign finance laws notwithstanding, Perot funnelled hundreds of thousands of dollars to such scandal plagued Democrats as Wilbur Mills, Dan Rostenkowski and Jim Wright, and to other powerful liberals such as John Glenn, Bill Bradley, Lloyd Bentsen and Richard Gephardt. According to Human Events, in the 1990 Texas elections the candidates Perot most heavily financed were all arch-liberal Democrats being opposed by conservative Republicans.
3. Does he believe in free enterprise? Not really. Though he puts a different spin on the idea, Perot essentially sees government as a social and economic savior. This is entirely consistent given that it was the government that made him his fortune. Liberal columnist Michael Kinsley points out that “he urges a massive new transfer program designed to take money away from the prosperous.” Maybe this is why even during the height of his popularity last May, 90% of Fortune 500 chief executives said they would not support his candidacy.
4. Is he pro-family values? Sometimes yes, too often no. For instance, he openly favors special privileges for homosexuals. The Human Rights Campaign Fund, a radical homosexual activist organization, praised his positions on homosexual political issues and even considered endorsing him. Of course, Perot was outpandered by Clinton for the support of this voting bloc.
5. Is he pro-life? Absolutely not. In fact, he is even more extremely pro-abortion than Clinton and Gore. According to George Grant, the Perot’s are “not simply pro-choice, they are activists with a vested interest in the most radical fringe of the abortion movement.” Perot is the first presidential candidate ever to have close ties to the abortion industry. For example, he funded an entire gynecological hospital wing where second trimester abortions are performed. He is a vocal supporter of Planned Parenthood, while his wife is an advisory board member. This is the organization that lobbies Congress for mandatory sterilization for couples with two children, and tax penalties for those with large families.
6. Does he support the Constitution? Amazingly no! Despite his superpatriot image, he scorns our constitutional framework of representative republicanism as antiquated and inadequate. Perot believes that the main problem with our government is not corrupt people, but a corrupt system. Our Constitution was designed to limit the power of centralized government in order to preserve liberty. Our system of government has successfully limited the aspirations of would be tyrants for more than 200 years. It is no friend to demagogues and autocrats. Is it any wonder that Perot would like to see it scrapped?
If you would like more information on Perot, read George Grant’s book: The Populist Appeal of Strong-Man Politics (Adroit Press, P.O. Box 680365, Franklin, TN 37068. Phone: 1-800-662-8629).
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
High Quality Paperback — 40 pages of dynamite!
Revival, Resistance, Reformation, Revolution
An Introduction to the Doctrines of Interposition and Nullification
In 1776, a short time after the Declaration of Independence was adopted, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Benjamin Franklin were assigned to design an official seal for the United States of America. Their proposed motto was Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God. America owes its existence to centuries of Christian political philosophy. Our nation provided a model for liberty copied by nations the world over.
By the 21st century, we need a “Puritan Storm” to sweep away the Hegelian notion that the state is “God walking on earth.” We need revival and reformation in full force to vanquish the problems that plague us as a nation — from government controlled healthcare — to abortion on demand — to same sex “marriage.” This booklet gives a primer on our founders’ Christian idea of government and examines how the doctrine of nullification was woven into the Constitution as a safeguard against federal tyranny. It concludes with the history and theology of civil resistance. A Second American Revolution is coming with the Word of God growing mightily and prevailing! (Acts 19:20).
$7.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
Just what is Calvinism?
Does this teaching make man a deterministic robot and God the author of sin? What about free will? If the church accepts Calvinism, won’t evangelism be stifled, perhaps even extinguished? How can we balance God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility? What are the differences between historic Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Why did men like Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, Whitefield, Edwards and a host of renowned Protestant evangelists embrace the teaching of predestination and election and deny free will theology?
This is the first video documentary that answers these and other related questions. Hosted by Eric Holmberg, this fascinating three-part, four-hour presentation is detailed enough so as to not gloss over the controversy. At the same time, it is broken up into ten “Sunday-school-sized” sections to make the rich content manageable and accessible for the average viewer.
Running Time: 257 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)