By Ivan Squall
Published October 1, 1992
When Ross Perot decided to re-enter the presidential sweepstakes, he deprived Bill Clinton of his uncontested status as the greatest political threat to our nation’s moral and economic future. Thankfully, he is not fooling too many people this time around, so the biggest threat is not the most likely threat. Unfortunately, he may still fool too many disillusioned conservatives, thus handing a tight election to disaster candidate #2.
Perot’s rhetorical appeal uniquely crisscrosses the political spectrum, making strange bedfellows out of voters of both the left and the right. But left wingers have a solid champion in Bill Clinton; they don’t really stand to gain much by signing on to Perot’s longshot bid. Conservatives, however, are much more vulnerable to Perot’s siren call. The great danger is that, in anger or ignorance, just enough of these voters will choose Perot that it will provide the margin of victory to Clinton. Thus they would have actually voted not for the white knight protest candidate, but for the establishment liberal whose vision for this nation stands in stark opposition to the most cherished values of moderate, conservative and Christian America.
So, if you are vacillating between Bush and Perot, let’s make sure you understand that H. Ross is no friend of free markets or family values.
1. How did he make his fortune? Not by satisfying ordinary customers in the marketplace, but by cozying up to welfare state bureaucrats. He is America’s first welfare billionaire, having parlayed his close associations with high ranking government officials in the welfare bureaucracy into exclusive rights to hundreds of millions of dollars in government contracts paid out of our tax dollars. He essentially skimmed off a healthy chunk of the huge money flows that our Great Society programs poured into the welfare system. While Perot wants us to believe he is an amateur in politics, he is really a 30 year veteran of the political/business complex. No special interest lobbyist has ever profited more handsomely because Perot’s special interest extended no further than himself.
2. How did he spend his fortune? Once he got his foot in the front door, Perot then shrewdly reinvested his political influence so as to insure that the golden government spigot would never be turned off. This was accomplished through huge campaign contributions to those federal officials who held the purse strings for the welfare kitty. Campaign finance laws notwithstanding, Perot funnelled hundreds of thousands of dollars to such scandal plagued Democrats as Wilbur Mills, Dan Rostenkowski and Jim Wright, and to other powerful liberals such as John Glenn, Bill Bradley, Lloyd Bentsen and Richard Gephardt. According to Human Events, in the 1990 Texas elections the candidates Perot most heavily financed were all arch-liberal Democrats being opposed by conservative Republicans.
3. Does he believe in free enterprise? Not really. Though he puts a different spin on the idea, Perot essentially sees government as a social and economic savior. This is entirely consistent given that it was the government that made him his fortune. Liberal columnist Michael Kinsley points out that “he urges a massive new transfer program designed to take money away from the prosperous.” Maybe this is why even during the height of his popularity last May, 90% of Fortune 500 chief executives said they would not support his candidacy.
4. Is he pro-family values? Sometimes yes, too often no. For instance, he openly favors special privileges for homosexuals. The Human Rights Campaign Fund, a radical homosexual activist organization, praised his positions on homosexual political issues and even considered endorsing him. Of course, Perot was outpandered by Clinton for the support of this voting bloc.
5. Is he pro-life? Absolutely not. In fact, he is even more extremely pro-abortion than Clinton and Gore. According to George Grant, the Perot’s are “not simply pro-choice, they are activists with a vested interest in the most radical fringe of the abortion movement.” Perot is the first presidential candidate ever to have close ties to the abortion industry. For example, he funded an entire gynecological hospital wing where second trimester abortions are performed. He is a vocal supporter of Planned Parenthood, while his wife is an advisory board member. This is the organization that lobbies Congress for mandatory sterilization for couples with two children, and tax penalties for those with large families.
6. Does he support the Constitution? Amazingly no! Despite his superpatriot image, he scorns our constitutional framework of representative republicanism as antiquated and inadequate. Perot believes that the main problem with our government is not corrupt people, but a corrupt system. Our Constitution was designed to limit the power of centralized government in order to preserve liberty. Our system of government has successfully limited the aspirations of would be tyrants for more than 200 years. It is no friend to demagogues and autocrats. Is it any wonder that Perot would like to see it scrapped?
If you would like more information on Perot, read George Grant’s book: The Populist Appeal of Strong-Man Politics (Adroit Press, P.O. Box 680365, Franklin, TN 37068. Phone: 1-800-662-8629).
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
Download the Free Study Guide!
Just what is Calvinism?
Does this teaching make man a deterministic robot and God the author of sin? What about free will? If the church accepts Calvinism, won’t evangelism be stifled, perhaps even extinguished? How can we balance God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility? What are the differences between historic Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Why did men like Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, Whitefield, Edwards and a host of renowned Protestant evangelists embrace the teaching of predestination and election and deny free will theology?
This is the first video documentary that answers these and other related questions. Hosted by Eric Holmberg, this fascinating three-part, four-hour presentation is detailed enough so as to not gloss over the controversy. At the same time, it is broken up into ten “Sunday-school-sized” sections to make the rich content manageable and accessible for the average viewer.
Running Time: 257 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the Real Jesus?
Ever since the dawn of modern rationalism, skeptics have sought to use textual criticism, archeology and historical reconstructions to uncover the “historical Jesus” — a wise teacher who said many wonderful things, but fulfilled no prophecies, performed no miracles and certainly did not rise from the dead in triumph over sin.
Over the past 100 years, however, startling discoveries in biblical archeology and scholarship have all but vanquished the faulty assumptions of these doubting modernists. Regrettably, these discoveries have often been ignored by the skeptics as well as by the popular media. As a result, the liberal view still holds sway in universities and impacts the culture and even much of the church.
The Real Jesus explodes the myths of these critics and the movies, books and television programs that have popularized their views. Presented in ten parts — perfect for individual, family and classroom study — viewers will be challenged to go deeper in their knowledge of Christ in order to be able to defend their faith and present the truth to a skeptical modern world – that the Jesus of the Gospels is the Jesus of history — “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). He is the real Jesus.
Speakers include: George Grant, Ted Baehr, Stephen Mansfield, Raymond Ortlund, Phil Kayser, David Lutzweiler, Jay Grimstead, J.P. Holding, and Eric Holmberg.
Ten parts, over two hours of instruction!
Running Time: 130 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Give me liberty or give me death!”
Patrick Henry’s famous declaration not only helped launch the War for Independence, it also perfectly summarized the mindset that gave birth to, and sustained, the unprecedented experiment in Christian liberty that was America.
The freedom our Founders envisioned was not freedom from suffering, want, or hard work. Nor was it freedom to indulge every appetite or whim without restraint—that would merely be servitude to a different master. No, the Founders’ passion was to live free before God, unfettered by the chains of autocracy, shackles that slowly but inexorably bind men when the governments they fashion fail to recognize and uphold freedom’s singular, foundational truth: that all men are created in the image of God, and are thereby co-equally endowed with the right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
This presentation is a similar call, not to one but many. By reintroducing the principles of freedom that gave birth to America, it is our prayer that Jesus, the true and only ruler over the nations, will once again be our acknowledged Sovereign, that we may again know and exult in the great truth that “where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty” (2 Cor. 3:17).
Welcome to the Second American Revolution!
This DVD features “Liberty: The Model of Christian Liberty” along with “Dawn’s Early Light: A Brief History of America’s Christian Foundations.” Bonus features include a humorous but instructive collection of campaign ads and Eric Holmberg’s controversial YouTube challenge concerning Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)