By Ivan Squall
Published October 1, 1992
When Ross Perot decided to re-enter the presidential sweepstakes, he deprived Bill Clinton of his uncontested status as the greatest political threat to our nation’s moral and economic future. Thankfully, he is not fooling too many people this time around, so the biggest threat is not the most likely threat. Unfortunately, he may still fool too many disillusioned conservatives, thus handing a tight election to disaster candidate #2.
Perot’s rhetorical appeal uniquely crisscrosses the political spectrum, making strange bedfellows out of voters of both the left and the right. But left wingers have a solid champion in Bill Clinton; they don’t really stand to gain much by signing on to Perot’s longshot bid. Conservatives, however, are much more vulnerable to Perot’s siren call. The great danger is that, in anger or ignorance, just enough of these voters will choose Perot that it will provide the margin of victory to Clinton. Thus they would have actually voted not for the white knight protest candidate, but for the establishment liberal whose vision for this nation stands in stark opposition to the most cherished values of moderate, conservative and Christian America.
So, if you are vacillating between Bush and Perot, let’s make sure you understand that H. Ross is no friend of free markets or family values.
1. How did he make his fortune? Not by satisfying ordinary customers in the marketplace, but by cozying up to welfare state bureaucrats. He is America’s first welfare billionaire, having parlayed his close associations with high ranking government officials in the welfare bureaucracy into exclusive rights to hundreds of millions of dollars in government contracts paid out of our tax dollars. He essentially skimmed off a healthy chunk of the huge money flows that our Great Society programs poured into the welfare system. While Perot wants us to believe he is an amateur in politics, he is really a 30 year veteran of the political/business complex. No special interest lobbyist has ever profited more handsomely because Perot’s special interest extended no further than himself.
2. How did he spend his fortune? Once he got his foot in the front door, Perot then shrewdly reinvested his political influence so as to insure that the golden government spigot would never be turned off. This was accomplished through huge campaign contributions to those federal officials who held the purse strings for the welfare kitty. Campaign finance laws notwithstanding, Perot funnelled hundreds of thousands of dollars to such scandal plagued Democrats as Wilbur Mills, Dan Rostenkowski and Jim Wright, and to other powerful liberals such as John Glenn, Bill Bradley, Lloyd Bentsen and Richard Gephardt. According to Human Events, in the 1990 Texas elections the candidates Perot most heavily financed were all arch-liberal Democrats being opposed by conservative Republicans.
3. Does he believe in free enterprise? Not really. Though he puts a different spin on the idea, Perot essentially sees government as a social and economic savior. This is entirely consistent given that it was the government that made him his fortune. Liberal columnist Michael Kinsley points out that “he urges a massive new transfer program designed to take money away from the prosperous.” Maybe this is why even during the height of his popularity last May, 90% of Fortune 500 chief executives said they would not support his candidacy.
4. Is he pro-family values? Sometimes yes, too often no. For instance, he openly favors special privileges for homosexuals. The Human Rights Campaign Fund, a radical homosexual activist organization, praised his positions on homosexual political issues and even considered endorsing him. Of course, Perot was outpandered by Clinton for the support of this voting bloc.
5. Is he pro-life? Absolutely not. In fact, he is even more extremely pro-abortion than Clinton and Gore. According to George Grant, the Perot’s are “not simply pro-choice, they are activists with a vested interest in the most radical fringe of the abortion movement.” Perot is the first presidential candidate ever to have close ties to the abortion industry. For example, he funded an entire gynecological hospital wing where second trimester abortions are performed. He is a vocal supporter of Planned Parenthood, while his wife is an advisory board member. This is the organization that lobbies Congress for mandatory sterilization for couples with two children, and tax penalties for those with large families.
6. Does he support the Constitution? Amazingly no! Despite his superpatriot image, he scorns our constitutional framework of representative republicanism as antiquated and inadequate. Perot believes that the main problem with our government is not corrupt people, but a corrupt system. Our Constitution was designed to limit the power of centralized government in order to preserve liberty. Our system of government has successfully limited the aspirations of would be tyrants for more than 200 years. It is no friend to demagogues and autocrats. Is it any wonder that Perot would like to see it scrapped?
If you would like more information on Perot, read George Grant’s book: The Populist Appeal of Strong-Man Politics (Adroit Press, P.O. Box 680365, Franklin, TN 37068. Phone: 1-800-662-8629).
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
High Quality Paperback — 40 pages of dynamite!
Revival, Resistance, Reformation, Revolution
An Introduction to the Doctrines of Interposition and Nullification
In 1776, a short time after the Declaration of Independence was adopted, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Benjamin Franklin were assigned to design an official seal for the United States of America. Their proposed motto was Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God. America owes its existence to centuries of Christian political philosophy. Our nation provided a model for liberty copied by nations the world over.
By the 21st century, we need a “Puritan Storm” to sweep away the Hegelian notion that the state is “God walking on earth.” We need revival and reformation in full force to vanquish the problems that plague us as a nation — from government controlled healthcare — to abortion on demand — to same sex “marriage.” This booklet gives a primer on our founders’ Christian idea of government and examines how the doctrine of nullification was woven into the Constitution as a safeguard against federal tyranny. It concludes with the history and theology of civil resistance. A Second American Revolution is coming with the Word of God growing mightily and prevailing! (Acts 19:20).
$7.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
High Quality Paperback — 200 pages
A Reasonable Response to Christian Postmodernism
Includes a response to the book Christian Jihad by Colonel V. Doner
The title of this book is a misnomer. In reality, I am not trying to get anyone to shut up, but rather to provoke a discussion. This book is a warning about the philosophy of “Christian postmodernism” and the threat that it poses not only to Christian orthodoxy, but to the peace and prosperity our culture as well. The purpose is to equip the reader with some basic principles that can be used to refute their arguments.
Part 1 is a response to some of the recent writings by Frank Schaeffer, the son of the late Francis Schaeffer. This was originally written as a defense against Frank’s attacks on pro-life street activism – a movement that his father helped bring into being through his books, A Christian Manifesto, How Should We Then Live? and Whatever Happened to the Human Race? These works have impacted literally hundreds of thousands of Christian activists.
Part 2 is a response to Colonel Doner and his book, Christian Jihad: Neo-Fundamentalists and the Polarization of America. Doner was one of the key architects of the Christian Right that emerged in the 1980s, who now represents the disillusionment and defection many Christian activists experienced in the 1990s and 2000s. There is still great hope for America to be reformed according to biblical principles. As a new generation is emerging, it is important to recognize the mistakes that Christian activists have made in the past even while holding to a vision for the future.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
That Swiss Hermit Strikes Again!
Dr. Schaeffer, who was one of the most influential Christian thinkers in the twentieth century, shows that secular humanism has displaced the Judeo-Christian consensus that once defined our nation’s moral boundaries. Law, education, and medicine have all been reshaped for the worse as a consequence. America’s dominant worldview changed, Schaeffer charges, when Christians weren’t looking.
Schaeffer lists two reasons for evangelical indifference: a false concept of spirituality and fear. He calls on believers to stand against the tyranny and moral chaos that come when humanism reigns-and warns that believers may, at some point, be forced to make the hard choice between obeying God or Caesar. A Christian Manifesto is a thought-provoking and bracing Christian analysis of American culture and the obligation Christians have to engage the culture with the claims of Christ.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)