By Sergei Zavgorodny
Published June 1, 1994
English translation by Roman Medvid
The Global Vision for Predvestnik, The Russian language Forerunner
To build a distribution network that will blanket all of the former USSR; to reach China with the printed word; and to penetrate the Muslim world with the Gospel.
Predvestnik’s Current Distribution Network
Predvestnik has been distributed in every former Soviet republic with the exception of Turkmenistan and Tadjikistan. We have been limited in Tadjikistan by the war between the radical Muslims and the existing government; and in Turkmenistan by the restrictive religious situation.
- In Kazakhstan, a huge territory in central Asia, there are some Christian churches in Alma Ata and another large city, Karaganda. The churches are mainly made up of Russian Christians. Outside the major cities there are few churches. The ethnic Kazakhi Muslim population remains largely unreached. Predvestnik is received in Alma Ata, a city of over one million people. We currently distribute over 25 percent of our newspapers in Kazakhstan through two distributors. There is a large Christian ministry in Alma Ata called “Agapé” which maintains contacts with every church in Kazakhstan. They distribute Predvestnik throughout their region. There is a mission called “Grace” in Karaganda (central Kazakhstan) which also directly receives a smaller order of Predvestnik. There is an huge opportunity for us in this area alone.
- In Uzbekistan and Kirghistan, we have three distributors – two individuals in the city of Tashkent, Uzbekistan and one mission in a region of Kirghistan. These are only a few hundred in number because there are only one or two known churches in these areas and they cannot evangelize freely among the Muslim population.
- In Turkmenistan and Tadjikistan, the furthest southern region of former Soviet Central Asia, there are virtually no Christian churches. This area remains unreached. These countries are utterly Muslim. A person who does not profess Islam is considered outcast. He cannot get a job; he cannot marry. So this area is closed.
- In Azerbaijan, there is a different situation. Because Armenia borders Azerbaijan and Georgia, there is a Christian element. There is an Eastern Rite Church in Armenia. To the north in Georgia, there is the Georgian Orthodox Church. Hence, Christianity is more easily spread to Azerbaijan. Distributors in Armenia and Georgia may send Predvestnik to Azerbaijan. However, there is one region between Azerbaijan and Armenia, that is in a similar situation as the Balkan countries. In the region of Nagorno-Karabakh, there is ethnic fighting. Soldiers kill people on the basis of what religion they profess. So this area is also closed.
- In Armenia, we have sent some newspapers back with people who were visiting Russia. But as of yet there is no main distributor within Armenia.
- In Georgia, we have distributors, but Ukraine refused to ship any newspapers there because of the war in the Caucasus mountain region. Now we have the open opportunity to ship there again.
- In Russia, past issues of Predvestnik went as far east as Vladivostok and to the southern Siberian regions of Omsk, Krasnoyarsk and Irkutsk. Past issues were dispatched to the Ural mountain region: the border between Europe and Asia. The region near the Volga river has always been covered, including Kazan (Tatarstan). The central region is covered from Moscow. The remote parts of Siberia are not covered, but there is a very sparse population.
- Ukraine has distributors in every region from the far east to the border of Poland and Romania. Among our distribution centers are Kharkov, Odessa, Crimea and cities along the Dnieper River. We also recently heard about a new opportunity in Lvov. The capital city of Kiev, with a population of three million, could easily absorb all of the issues of Predvestnik now printed. In fact, the first several issues had a heavier concentration in Ukraine.
- Moldava, a country between Ukraine and Romania, is torn by ethnic strife and war. We are able to distribute in Moldava, however, through the border city of Ismail, Ukraine. Our distributor in Ismail always ships several hundred newspapers to Moldava.
- In Belorus, we have two distributors in the capital city of Minsk and a city within this region. Sergei Zavgorodny met with the pastor of the church in the Minsk region in order to create a larger distribution network that would cover all of Belorus. This pastor is from a very large church with its own mission network.
- In the Baltic States, the political and economic situation has changed. It is much more expensive to ship newspapers there now. This region has also been saturated with Christian ministries and missions. In the future, our policy for distribution to the Baltics nations will be “paid orders only.”
Future Plans for Expanding Distribution
Our goal is to enter into the state subscription service. It is the most prospective way of increasing distribution. We will take this opportunity so that individuals in all of Ukraine, Russia and Belorus may subscribe to Predvestnik. Each country uses a similar service. The state system works this way: Anyone may go to their post office and order a subscription from a list of publications. Predvestnik would be listed as a Christian publication. Any person in any town or small village will be able to subscribe to Predvestnik.
We are going to expand our contacts with Kazakhstan. We have very good contacts with the missions and churches there. We are looking to expand this influence further than Kazakhstan down to the south to the unreached territories.
We also have distributors in Russia in the region of the Black Sea. We want to use these contacts to help us to distribute newspapers to the south to Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan.
A future goal for distributing Predvestnik is to reach more remote areas. Major cities already have large ministries and the people have begun to grow less open to the Gospel. However, in rural areas there are many people who have never heard the name of Jesus Christ. There is a great openness and a hunger for spiritual truth in remote regions. Our priority is to expand into these regions. The state subscription service can help us to achieve this goals.
Russian is still the primary language spoken in the former USSR. The official national languages in 14 republics have changed, but this has not had a great effect. One good thing that the Soviet Union did was to teach Russian to all the people groups and to standardize the language. Before the Russian Revolution, there were even peculiar alphabets using letters in Old Slavonic. Many ethnic peoples were illiterate before the time of the Soviet Union. More people speak Russian than ever before and the native languages use the Cyrillic alphabet.
We discussed the possibility to do ethnic language newspapers, such as in Ukrainian, Byelorussian, Tatar or Kazakhi. There is no sense to do a version in Ukrainian or Byelorussian. Most of these people still speak Russian as a primary language. Russian is understood by all people who speak Ukrainian and Byelorussian. As to the languages that are utterly different than Russian, this proposal makes some sense. It would take some time and effort to develop these newspapers.
We want to print a Chinese newspaper, The Mandate, and train a Chinese staff. We will also produce special editions for Muslims in Russian with the idea of eventually producing ethnic language newspapers with trained staffs. The Muslim edition could easily be translated into ethnic languages as an evangelistic tool to reach Muslims throughout Russia, central Asia and the Middle East.
Global Vision and the 10/40 Window
The 10/40 window is a region that is almost completely unreached with the Gospel. The nations situated between the 10th and 40th parallel are oppressed by poverty, dictatorial governments and false religions. This is the most difficult area of the world to penetrate. Today, we see that Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are at the heart of the 10/40 window. These nations have been the focus of continual international crises.
The most strategic opening in the 10/40 window is from the north. The nations of ancient Turkestan (Kazakhstan, Kirghistan, Uzbekistan, Tadjikistan and Uzbekistan) lie directly above modern day Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. We will see these nations open up to the Gospel in our day as result of the spiritual awakening in the former Soviet Union. Predvestnik can have a part in opening the 10/40 window by producing Christian literature aimed at Muslims in Central Asia. We will cooperate with indigenous missions in this area such as Agapé and Grace ministries in Kazakhstan. We plan to send a representative to visit these areas soon and have our first special edition aimed at Muslims by the end of 1994.
Kiev as a Missions Center
The purpose of Predvestnik is to publish information on the true history of the church; to answer questions the common people have about the Bible, Christianity and the church; to print articles dealing with the simple Gospel message of salvation; and to be a source of relevant information from a sound biblical viewpoint. Our goal for the next three years is to print and distribute one million copies of Predvestnik; and to translate and print short paperback books and tracts.
In doing so, we will develop a network of people who will read Christian publications in years to come. These people will be able to support the work of publishing in their own countries when their economies improve. Then they will be able to support missionary efforts to surrounding nations such as the Muslim and Chinese blocs. But the time of spiritual openness is short, we need to act in a progressive manner to evangelize and disciple the people of the former Soviet Union through the printed word.
Within the next three years, our purpose is to become both more stable and widespread while beginning new works within the former USSR; to distribute Christian literature to unreached nations and people groups; to expand into the furthest reaches of the former USSR, China and central Asia.
Forerunner - Home » Predvestnik - The Voice of a New Generation
Your comments are welcome!
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposing The Occult Roots of Abortion
This presentation looks at the spiritual roots of abortion and exposes the myths surrounding child killing. Little known historical facts about abortion and how they relate to modern feminism are presented logically and accurately. Has been effective in converting many to a pro-life position.
Massacre of Innocence goes where no pro-life presentation has gone before in “tearing the lid off abortion” to reveal the spiritual realities we must battle if we will bring an end to this crime. The presentation is absorbing, fast-paced, informative and incredibly devastating to any attempt to justify abortion.
“… an extraordinary statement … a powerfully articulate presentation about what abortion really means, and why a great and moral nation like the United States must not allow the slaughter to continue.”
— Congressman Robert K. Dornan
Running time: 85 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the Real Jesus?
Ever since the dawn of modern rationalism, skeptics have sought to use textual criticism, archeology and historical reconstructions to uncover the “historical Jesus” — a wise teacher who said many wonderful things, but fulfilled no prophecies, performed no miracles and certainly did not rise from the dead in triumph over sin.
Over the past 100 years, however, startling discoveries in biblical archeology and scholarship have all but vanquished the faulty assumptions of these doubting modernists. Regrettably, these discoveries have often been ignored by the skeptics as well as by the popular media. As a result, the liberal view still holds sway in universities and impacts the culture and even much of the church.
The Real Jesus explodes the myths of these critics and the movies, books and television programs that have popularized their views. Presented in ten parts — perfect for individual, family and classroom study — viewers will be challenged to go deeper in their knowledge of Christ in order to be able to defend their faith and present the truth to a skeptical modern world – that the Jesus of the Gospels is the Jesus of history — “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). He is the real Jesus.
Speakers include: George Grant, Ted Baehr, Stephen Mansfield, Raymond Ortlund, Phil Kayser, David Lutzweiler, Jay Grimstead, J.P. Holding, and Eric Holmberg.
Ten parts, over two hours of instruction!
Running Time: 130 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
High Quality Paperback — 200 pages
A Reasonable Response to Christian Postmodernism
Includes a response to the book Christian Jihad by Colonel V. Doner
The title of this book is a misnomer. In reality, I am not trying to get anyone to shut up, but rather to provoke a discussion. This book is a warning about the philosophy of “Christian postmodernism” and the threat that it poses not only to Christian orthodoxy, but to the peace and prosperity our culture as well. The purpose is to equip the reader with some basic principles that can be used to refute their arguments.
Part 1 is a response to some of the recent writings by Frank Schaeffer, the son of the late Francis Schaeffer. This was originally written as a defense against Frank’s attacks on pro-life street activism – a movement that his father helped bring into being through his books, A Christian Manifesto, How Should We Then Live? and Whatever Happened to the Human Race? These works have impacted literally hundreds of thousands of Christian activists.
Part 2 is a response to Colonel Doner and his book, Christian Jihad: Neo-Fundamentalists and the Polarization of America. Doner was one of the key architects of the Christian Right that emerged in the 1980s, who now represents the disillusionment and defection many Christian activists experienced in the 1990s and 2000s. There is still great hope for America to be reformed according to biblical principles. As a new generation is emerging, it is important to recognize the mistakes that Christian activists have made in the past even while holding to a vision for the future.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)