By Jay Rogers
Published September 21, 2019
A common objection to the line of Roman kings beginning with Julius Caesar is that he ruled as a dictator only for a short period of time and was never proclaimed an emperor. Instead most modern historians follow the line that begins with Augustus, when the Roman Empire as a system of government emerged. Prior to that time, the Roman Republic was ruled by a Senate and then a Triumvirate. Several reasons suggest why the first horn of the beast – that is, the first king of Daniel 7:7,24 and Revelation 17:9-12 – is Julius Caesar and not Augustus Caesar.
Perfect-bound Paperback — 740 pages
The Book of Daniel in Preterist Perspective
“And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever” (Daniel 2:44).
The overarching message of Daniel is that Jesus the Messiah is even now ruling over the nations. He is the King of kings. Daniel tells us that Messiah’s kingdom will advance in the whole world from “generation to generation” (Daniel 4:4,34). Christ’s dominion is “given to the people of the saints of the most High” (Daniel 7:22). Our purpose then is to see “all people, nations, and languages … serve and obey him” (Daniel 7:14,27).
This comprehensive work offers a fascinating look at the book of Daniel in preterist perspective. Great attention is paid to the writings of ancient and modern historians and scholars to connect the dots and demonstrate the continuity of Daniel’s prophecy with all of Scripture.(We accept PayPal and all major credit cards.)
- Whether Julius Caesar was a true “emperor” of Rome or merely a military dictator is immaterial to the prophecy. The word “king” is used throughout the Book of Daniel and can mean either a single king or a line of kings.
- Julius Caesar was the first Roman “king” to make an alliance with Judea in 47 BC. The Jews received benefits from Rome due to the troop support they gave Caesar during the Battle of the Nile. From a Jewish perspective, the first Roman “king” to have dominion in Judea was Pompey in 63 BC, who conquered the city of Jerusalem and desecrated the Temple. Pompey came at a time when the First Triumvirate was about to be formed. Julius Caesar was part of the First Triumvirate from almost the beginning of Rome’s occupation of Judea.
- Julius Caesar conquered lands to the north of Rome for the next 14 years. He arrived for the civil war with Pompey in regions close to Judea from 49 to 47 BC. Caesar sent his Jewish emissary Aristobulus to Judea in the spring of that year. Pompey responded by having Aristobulus poisoned and enlisted the aid of the Egyptian pharaoh, Ptolemy XIII, in preparation for a civil war with Caesar.
- Julius Caesar was made dictator for the first time on September 24th, 49 BC. From that date, the Romans and kingdoms in the east, including Macedonia and Syria, began their first “indiction.” An indiction was a fiscal period of 15 years used as a means of dating events and transactions in the Roman Empire. Indictions of 15 years were ever since then tied to the reigns of the Roman emperors.
- Flavius Josephus, Suetonius, Theophilus of Antioch, Clement of Alexandria and Cassius Dio number the line of the “Twelve Caesars” from Julius to Domitian, while Tacitus counts from Augustus onward. Being a Jew and a contemporary of Josephus, the Apostle John who wrote Revelation would have understood the line of Roman kings to begin with Julius Caesar.
- It is a fact of history that the Jews, after their alliance with Julius Caesar in 47 BC, thought of him as their king. On the day after he assumed his fifth and last consulship in 45 BC, Julius Caesar, like the Persian kings Cyrus, Darius and Artaxerxes before him, decreed that the Jews should rebuild the walls around Jerusalem that had been destroyed by Pompey in 63 BC. He also gave the Jews tax relief and decreed that they should be governed according to their own laws.
- Cicero, Plutarch, Suetonius and Cassius Dio refer to a proposed law in the Roman Senate in 44 BC that would have made Caesar a king since most of the nations in the known world were under Roman rule. Some thought that the title of “emperor” or “dictator” sounded more agreeable, since Caesar did not like (or at least pretended not to like) being called a “king.”
- While it is true that Julius Caesar did not rule as the dictator of Rome for very long, he was the sole dictator from 48 to 44 BC. Brevity is no reason to discount Caesar as a Roman “king.” If so, we might also have to discount Gaius Caligula since he reigned for only four years from AD 37 to 41.
- Julius was the first in the dynasty of Caesars that would become known as the Roman emperors. Julius officially adopted his grand-nephew Octavian, later known as Augustus Caesar, naming him as his heir in the few last months of his life.
- Caesar is called a “king” in John 19:15 and Acts 17:7.
Statue of Julius Caesar by Sébastien Slodtz, Louvre Museum
In early 46 BC, Julius Caesar, having conquered Ptolemy XIII in Egypt, marched on to Pontus in Asia Minor and defeated Pharnaces in one battle. He sent a letter to Rome with three words, “Veni. Vidi. Vici.” – “I came. I saw. I conquered.”
On his way to Asia Minor, he encamped with his troops in Judea. He recognized John Hyrcanus II as High Priest and decreed that his descendants would retain the priesthood and be exempt from taxes.
Caesar made Antipater I the Idumean governor of Judea. Antipater then made Phasaclus, his oldest son, the governor of Jerusalem and Herod the Great, his second oldest son, the governor of Galilee.
Forerunner - Home » In The Days of These Kings ...
Your comments are welcome!
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
“Give me liberty or give me death!”
Patrick Henry’s famous declaration not only helped launch the War for Independence, it also perfectly summarized the mindset that gave birth to, and sustained, the unprecedented experiment in Christian liberty that was America.
The freedom our Founders envisioned was not freedom from suffering, want, or hard work. Nor was it freedom to indulge every appetite or whim without restraint—that would merely be servitude to a different master. No, the Founders’ passion was to live free before God, unfettered by the chains of autocracy, shackles that slowly but inexorably bind men when the governments they fashion fail to recognize and uphold freedom’s singular, foundational truth: that all men are created in the image of God, and are thereby co-equally endowed with the right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
This presentation is a similar call, not to one but many. By reintroducing the principles of freedom that gave birth to America, it is our prayer that Jesus, the true and only ruler over the nations, will once again be our acknowledged Sovereign, that we may again know and exult in the great truth that “where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty” (2 Cor. 3:17).
Welcome to the Second American Revolution!
This DVD features “Liberty: The Model of Christian Liberty” along with “Dawn’s Early Light: A Brief History of America’s Christian Foundations.” Bonus features include a humorous but instructive collection of campaign ads and Eric Holmberg’s controversial YouTube challenge concerning Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.(We accept PayPal and all major credit cards.)
What is true Revival and Spiritual Awakening?
Discover the answer in this eyewitness account by Dennis Kinlaw, President of Asbury College, Wilmore, Kentucky, who recounts the story of a visitation of the Holy Spirit in 1970. This is the presentation that has continued to spark the flames of Revival in the hearts of people around the world. Contains eyewitness footage from the Revival at Asbury College in 1970 in Wilmore, Kentucky.
Certain to challenge you to greater holiness and a deeper commitment to full-scale revival. Original news and private footage has been included. If you are a student who longs to see a spiritual awakening at your school, you must see this video!
“This simple video does a wonderful job of conveying something of God’s heart and power, Everyone we have ever shown this to has received an immediate impartation of faith for revival and the power of prayer.”
— Bob and Rose Weiner, Weiner Ministries Int’l
Running Time: 40 minutes(We accept PayPal and all major credit cards.)
Exposing The Occult Roots of Abortion
This presentation looks at the spiritual roots of abortion and exposes the myths surrounding child killing. Little known historical facts about abortion and how they relate to modern feminism are presented logically and accurately. Has been effective in converting many to a pro-life position.
Massacre of Innocence goes where no pro-life presentation has gone before in “tearing the lid off abortion” to reveal the spiritual realities we must battle if we will bring an end to this crime. The presentation is absorbing, fast-paced, informative and incredibly devastating to any attempt to justify abortion.
“… an extraordinary statement … a powerfully articulate presentation about what abortion really means, and why a great and moral nation like the United States must not allow the slaughter to continue.”
— Congressman Robert K. Dornan
Running time: 85 minutes
Packaged in a double DVD case with the updated The Abortion Matrix DVD.(We accept PayPal and all major credit cards.)
That Swiss Hermit Strikes Again!
Dr. Schaeffer, who was one of the most influential Christian thinkers in the twentieth century, shows that secular humanism has displaced the Judeo-Christian consensus that once defined our nation’s moral boundaries. Law, education, and medicine have all been reshaped for the worse as a consequence. America’s dominant worldview changed, Schaeffer charges, when Christians weren’t looking.
Schaeffer lists two reasons for evangelical indifference: a false concept of spirituality and fear. He calls on believers to stand against the tyranny and moral chaos that come when humanism reigns-and warns that believers may, at some point, be forced to make the hard choice between obeying God or Caesar. A Christian Manifesto is a thought-provoking and bracing Christian analysis of American culture and the obligation Christians have to engage the culture with the claims of Christ.(We accept PayPal and all major credit cards.)