By Editorial Staff
Published March 1, 1992
Most Americans oppose the vast majority of all abortions being performed, according to the findings of a national poll of 750 people conducted in January.
The poll, conducted by the highly respected Wirthlin Group, found that pro-life Americans are also much more likely to vote single-issue than Americans who favor abortion. This means that pro-life candidates enjoy a seven percent voting edge, or “increment,” over pro-abortion candidates.
The poll also found that Americans support the primary provisions of a Pennsylvania law now before the Supreme Court. An overwhelming majority – 85 percent – support a woman’s right to know about abortion and alternatives, and 74 percent support spousal notification.
“When Americans are asked about abortion, they oppose abortion,” said Wanda Franz, Ph.D., president of the National Right to Life Committee, the nation’s largest pro-life group. “And pro-life Americans are much more willing to vote on the abortion issue alone.”
Other major findings of the poll include:
- A majority of Americans oppose the overwhelming majority of all abortions. 53 percent of poll respondents said abortion should be legal in three or fewer circumstances: in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother. The Alan Guttmacher Institute, Planned Parenthood’s research arm, reports that those three reasons account for less than 4 percent of all abortions. The Wirthlin poll also shows that just 11 percent of Americans support abortion on demand throughout pregnancy, while another six percent support abortion in the first six months of pregnancy.
- Young people (those between 18 and 24 years of age) are more likely to voice pro-life views than the general population. Fully 61 percent of those age 18 to 24 voice pro-life views.
- People who vote single issue on abortion are more likely to oppose abortion than to favor abortion. Of all Americans, 19 percent will vote single-issue pro-life, compared with 12 percent who will vote single issue pro-abortion.
- A slim plurality – 43 percent – of Americans want the Roe v. Wade decision overturned, and that number jumps to 48 percent when they are told that the impact of overturning Roe would be to allow states to pass laws on abortions. An even stronger majority – 57 percent – want the Roe v. Wade decision changed.
- 50 percent of Americans oppose the so-called “Freedom of Choice Act” (FOCA), versus 45 percent in favor. When told that the FOCA would not allow parental notice laws to stand (as the ACLU acknowledges), 56 percent of Americans oppose and just 38 percent support the FOCA.
- A majority of Americans (63 percent) oppose federal funding of research using tissue from aborted human fetuses. 29 percent of Americans support this proposal.
- An overwhelming majority of Americans (80 percent) support parental notification laws.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Pro-life Articles
Your comments are welcome!
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Give me liberty or give me death!”
Patrick Henry’s famous declaration not only helped launch the War for Independence, it also perfectly summarized the mindset that gave birth to, and sustained, the unprecedented experiment in Christian liberty that was America.
The freedom our Founders envisioned was not freedom from suffering, want, or hard work. Nor was it freedom to indulge every appetite or whim without restraint—that would merely be servitude to a different master. No, the Founders’ passion was to live free before God, unfettered by the chains of autocracy, shackles that slowly but inexorably bind men when the governments they fashion fail to recognize and uphold freedom’s singular, foundational truth: that all men are created in the image of God, and are thereby co-equally endowed with the right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
This presentation is a similar call, not to one but many. By reintroducing the principles of freedom that gave birth to America, it is our prayer that Jesus, the true and only ruler over the nations, will once again be our acknowledged Sovereign, that we may again know and exult in the great truth that “where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty” (2 Cor. 3:17).
Welcome to the Second American Revolution!
This DVD features “Liberty: The Model of Christian Liberty” along with “Dawn’s Early Light: A Brief History of America’s Christian Foundations.” Bonus features include a humorous but instructive collection of campaign ads and Eric Holmberg’s controversial YouTube challenge concerning Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)