By Editorial Staff
Published March 1, 1992
Most Americans oppose the vast majority of all abortions being performed, according to the findings of a national poll of 750 people conducted in January.
The poll, conducted by the highly respected Wirthlin Group, found that pro-life Americans are also much more likely to vote single-issue than Americans who favor abortion. This means that pro-life candidates enjoy a seven percent voting edge, or “increment,” over pro-abortion candidates.
The poll also found that Americans support the primary provisions of a Pennsylvania law now before the Supreme Court. An overwhelming majority – 85 percent – support a woman’s right to know about abortion and alternatives, and 74 percent support spousal notification.
“When Americans are asked about abortion, they oppose abortion,” said Wanda Franz, Ph.D., president of the National Right to Life Committee, the nation’s largest pro-life group. “And pro-life Americans are much more willing to vote on the abortion issue alone.”
Other major findings of the poll include:
- A majority of Americans oppose the overwhelming majority of all abortions. 53 percent of poll respondents said abortion should be legal in three or fewer circumstances: in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother. The Alan Guttmacher Institute, Planned Parenthood’s research arm, reports that those three reasons account for less than 4 percent of all abortions. The Wirthlin poll also shows that just 11 percent of Americans support abortion on demand throughout pregnancy, while another six percent support abortion in the first six months of pregnancy.
- Young people (those between 18 and 24 years of age) are more likely to voice pro-life views than the general population. Fully 61 percent of those age 18 to 24 voice pro-life views.
- People who vote single issue on abortion are more likely to oppose abortion than to favor abortion. Of all Americans, 19 percent will vote single-issue pro-life, compared with 12 percent who will vote single issue pro-abortion.
- A slim plurality – 43 percent – of Americans want the Roe v. Wade decision overturned, and that number jumps to 48 percent when they are told that the impact of overturning Roe would be to allow states to pass laws on abortions. An even stronger majority – 57 percent – want the Roe v. Wade decision changed.
- 50 percent of Americans oppose the so-called “Freedom of Choice Act” (FOCA), versus 45 percent in favor. When told that the FOCA would not allow parental notice laws to stand (as the ACLU acknowledges), 56 percent of Americans oppose and just 38 percent support the FOCA.
- A majority of Americans (63 percent) oppose federal funding of research using tissue from aborted human fetuses. 29 percent of Americans support this proposal.
- An overwhelming majority of Americans (80 percent) support parental notification laws.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » The TRUE History of Operation Rescue
Your comments are welcome!
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
High Quality Paperback — 40 pages of dynamite!
Revival, Resistance, Reformation, Revolution
An Introduction to the Doctrines of Interposition and Nullification
In 1776, a short time after the Declaration of Independence was adopted, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Benjamin Franklin were assigned to design an official seal for the United States of America. Their proposed motto was Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God. America owes its existence to centuries of Christian political philosophy. Our nation provided a model for liberty copied by nations the world over.
By the 21st century, we need a “Puritan Storm” to sweep away the Hegelian notion that the state is “God walking on earth.” We need revival and reformation in full force to vanquish the problems that plague us as a nation — from government controlled healthcare — to abortion on demand — to same sex “marriage.” This booklet gives a primer on our founders’ Christian idea of government and examines how the doctrine of nullification was woven into the Constitution as a safeguard against federal tyranny. It concludes with the history and theology of civil resistance. A Second American Revolution is coming with the Word of God growing mightily and prevailing! (Acts 19:20).
$7.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
That Swiss Hermit Strikes Again!
Dr. Schaeffer, who was one of the most influential Christian thinkers in the twentieth century, shows that secular humanism has displaced the Judeo-Christian consensus that once defined our nation’s moral boundaries. Law, education, and medicine have all been reshaped for the worse as a consequence. America’s dominant worldview changed, Schaeffer charges, when Christians weren’t looking.
Schaeffer lists two reasons for evangelical indifference: a false concept of spirituality and fear. He calls on believers to stand against the tyranny and moral chaos that come when humanism reigns-and warns that believers may, at some point, be forced to make the hard choice between obeying God or Caesar. A Christian Manifesto is a thought-provoking and bracing Christian analysis of American culture and the obligation Christians have to engage the culture with the claims of Christ.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
High Quality Paperback — 200 pages
A Reasonable Response to Christian Postmodernism
Includes a response to the book Christian Jihad by Colonel V. Doner
The title of this book is a misnomer. In reality, I am not trying to get anyone to shut up, but rather to provoke a discussion. This book is a warning about the philosophy of “Christian postmodernism” and the threat that it poses not only to Christian orthodoxy, but to the peace and prosperity our culture as well. The purpose is to equip the reader with some basic principles that can be used to refute their arguments.
Part 1 is a response to some of the recent writings by Frank Schaeffer, the son of the late Francis Schaeffer. This was originally written as a defense against Frank’s attacks on pro-life street activism – a movement that his father helped bring into being through his books, A Christian Manifesto, How Should We Then Live? and Whatever Happened to the Human Race? These works have impacted literally hundreds of thousands of Christian activists.
Part 2 is a response to Colonel Doner and his book, Christian Jihad: Neo-Fundamentalists and the Polarization of America. Doner was one of the key architects of the Christian Right that emerged in the 1980s, who now represents the disillusionment and defection many Christian activists experienced in the 1990s and 2000s. There is still great hope for America to be reformed according to biblical principles. As a new generation is emerging, it is important to recognize the mistakes that Christian activists have made in the past even while holding to a vision for the future.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)