By Editorial Staff
Published July 1, 1998
IN AUGUST 1991, COMMUNIST HARDLINERS led an unsuccessful coup in an attempt to seize power and close the doors of the Soviet Union. We think it’s fitting that the very next day after the coup failed, the first issue of Predvestnik (which means Forerunner or Herald) was printed in Moscow. It was truly the end of an old order and the dawning of a new day.
Since that time, 20 issues of Predvestnik have been produced in the former USSR. After printing the first issue at 100,000 copies, we received many warm responses telling us about its positive effects. The first issue was introductory in character and was mostly used in evangelism rallies throughout the former USSR. We presented the simple Gospel message of Jesus Christ. In the following quarterly issues, which had 16 pages and 20,000 copies each, we covered many deeper topics, including:
- Occult roots and bankruptcy of Marxism (at that time, when the Soviet Union existed, it was rather relevant);
- Cults, the occult and false religions;
- Authority and authenticity of the Bible;
- Creation vs. evolution;
- Philosophy of freedom and democracy;
- Analysis of the Orthodox Church and her positive and negative influences on our culture and society (the Orthodox denomination in Russia and Ukraine has much greater credit with the common people than the yet-weaker Protestant churches);
- History of Christianity.
Each issue contained inspiring and challenging articles, sermons and testimonies of famous teachers and ordinary Christians. The staff tried to keep readers informed of the latest news in the Christian world from all over the planet.
Our distribution network has been growing steadily and now consists of over 30 distributors in seven post-Soviet republics. Among these are individuals, as well as churches and ministries. From these centers, copies of Predvestnik are sent to even further reaches of the post-Soviet Union. We are aiming to expand distribution and to produce a bimonthly newspaper.
It is noteworthy that Predvestnik seems to be in favor with the three largest Protestant mainstreams in the former USSR: Baptists, Pentecostals and Charismatics. Although they have some disagreements between each other, churches of each movement are in the number of our distributors. This is possible because we have been trying to place the emphasis on Jesus Christ Himself and historical orthodoxy, rather than on ideas inherent in a single stream or denomination.
At the early stage of our history, we used many materials from foreign ministers for the newspaper, mostly from Americans. While we consider it important to communicate to our readers the rich heritage of Western Christianity, today it has become clear that people in our country are more responsive to a message which is based upon the Word of God and applied to their particular situation. That means we have to answer people’s needs through messages born in hearts of local Christians, those who know well about life here and the present conditions of our society. This is our main goal for the future: to be a competent source of meaningful, easy-to-apply information about the relevance of Christianity to daily life, from a sound biblical viewpoint.
We believe it would not be hype or exaggeration to say that Predvestnik is a unique publication. While various denominations in Christianity have their own publications in the former USSR, this newspaper stands out as a publication that tries to consider “global” Christianity, placing an emphasis on similarities, not differences, as many have testified. This makes the newspaper appealing and attractive to more people. Predvestnik has made its mark in its short existence. We are becoming well-known in many regions as a unique ministry. We understand that all this is due to God’s grace, to Whom we give all the credit.
The Predvestnik Staff
While studying computer science at Kiev Polytechnical Institute, Alexei oversees the printing, production and business transactions of Predvestnik.
An experienced Christian writer who has traveled extensively through the former USSR, Sergei is responsible for editorial content and distribution of Predvestnik.
Translation and production consultant
In addition to serving as a full-time translator for another Christian mission in Kiev, Roman is a translation and production consultant for Predvestnik.
Did You Know?
- Predvestnik has a wide distribution network covering about 100 regions in 11 post-Soviet countries. See if you can find the following cities where we have distribution centers on the map below:
RUSSIA: Moscow, Anapa, Arkhangelsk, Kalingrad, Kazan, Krasnodar, Murmansk, Naberezhnya Chelny, Nizhny Novgorod, Nizhnikamsk, Saint Petersburg, Samara, Sochi, Stavropol, Vologda
SIBERIAN RUSSIA: Barnaul, Irkutsk, Kemerovo, Khabarovsk, Novosibirsk, Omsk, Vladivostok, Yakutsk
UKRAINE: Kiev, Chernigov, Dnieprozherzinsk, Izmail, Lvov, Melitopol, Mukachevo, Rovno, Smela, Sumy
KAZAKHSTAN: Alma Ata, Temirtau
- We have also distributed in all three of the Baltic States, the Far East, Siberia, Moldava and even above the Arctic Circle! Predvestnik has the unique ability to reach many people groups in areas unreached with the Gospel.
- The former USSR has the seventh largest Muslim population in the world. Predvestnik is producing a special newspaper for use in reaching the Muslims in Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kirghistan, Turkmenistan, Tadjikstan and along the Volga river valley.
- Russia has the largest Chinese border of any nation. We plan to reach China with a Chinese language version of The Forerunner. We will print this newspaper in Kiev; ship it to Chinese border cities such as Vladivostok; and carry it into China.
- Ukraine is the second largest nation in Europe (besides Russia) and has 53 million people (sixth in population after Russia, Germany, England, France and Italy). We have our widest distribution network in Ukraine covering all regions of the republic.
- There are 280 million people in the former USSR. Most of them are unreached with the Gospel. Predvestnik is expanding into the furthest reaches of the former USSR.
- There are 150 unreached people groups (or nations) in the former USSR – Over 90 percent speak Russian as a primary or secondary language. Predvestnik is having an impact on these unreached peoples.
NOTE: The above article was written in 1998. Since that time, The Forerunner has concentrated on the production of several books and videos in the Russian language as well as a few other missionary projects.
Forerunner - Home » Predvestnik - The Voice of a New Generation
Your comments are welcome!
Download the Free Study Guide!
God’s Law and Society powerfully presents a comprehensive worldview based upon the ethical system found in the Law of God.
Speakers include: R.J. Rushdoony, George Grant, Howard Phillips, R.C. Sproul Jr., Ken Gentry, Gary DeMar, Jay Grimstead, Steven Schlissel, Andrew Sandlin, Eric Holmberg, and more!
Sixteen Christian leaders and scholars answer some of the most common questions and misconceptions related to this volatile issue:
1. Are we under Law or under Grace?
2. Does the Old Testament Law apply today?
3. Can we legislate morality?
4. What are the biblical foundations of government?
5. Was America founded as a Christian nation?
6. What about the separation of Church and State?
7. Is neutrality a myth?
8. What about non-Christians and the Law of God?
9. Would there be “freedom” in a Christian republic?
10. What would a “Christian America” look like?
Perfect for group instruction as well as personal Bible study.
Ten parts, over four hours of instruction!
Running Time: 240 minutes
Watch over 60 on-line video interviews from God’s Law and Society.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
Just what is Calvinism?
Does this teaching make man a deterministic robot and God the author of sin? What about free will? If the church accepts Calvinism, won’t evangelism be stifled, perhaps even extinguished? How can we balance God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility? What are the differences between historic Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Why did men like Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, Whitefield, Edwards and a host of renowned Protestant evangelists embrace the teaching of predestination and election and deny free will theology?
This is the first video documentary that answers these and other related questions. Hosted by Eric Holmberg, this fascinating three-part, four-hour presentation is detailed enough so as to not gloss over the controversy. At the same time, it is broken up into ten “Sunday-school-sized” sections to make the rich content manageable and accessible for the average viewer.
Running Time: 257 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)