By Editorial Staff
Published October 1, 1988
Do You Want A Member of the ACLU as the Next President of the United States?
“I’m a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.”
- Michael Dukakis
New York Magazine
August 17, 1987
What is the ACLU?
- It’s founder, Roger Baldwin, said this in 1920: “I am for socialism, disarmament, and ultimately for abolishing the State itself as an instrument of violence and compulsion. I seek social ownership of property, the abolition of the propertied class, and the sole control of those who produce wealth. Communism is the goal.”
What does the ACLU stand for?
- Among many other things, the ACLU has worked tirelessly for many years to oppose employee drug testing, to abolish the death penalty, to remove laws against homosexual marriage, and to guarantee homosexual couples the right to adopt children. The ACLU also defends the right to distribute child pornography, and opposes the right of governments to conduct covert operations or any other form of clandestine intelligence gathering.
- The Los Angeles chapter of the ACLU recently filed a lawsuit to require the Big Brothers of America to admit homosexuals into its mentor program for fatherless boys.
- The Illinois chapter of the ACLU has defended the “constitutional rights” of a doctor who has AIDS to continue to perform invasive medical procedures on patients.
- The Official Policy Guide of the ACLU, available upon request, spells out its clear agenda for America. Policy Number 242 argues that no one should go to prison, except for such crimes … so serious as murder or treason.
- The ACLU, which receives funding from the Playboy Foundation, has even argued in a Supreme Court case that child pornography is a form of free speech.
- Policy Number 211 states that the ACLU supports the decriminalization of prostitution and opposes state regulation of prostitution.
- The ACLU, in the name of “privacy rights,” also opposes such things as curfew ordinances for juveniles (Policy #206), sobriety road checks (#217), locker searches in high schools for illegal drugs (#76), and searches of people boarding airplanes (#270). The ACLU wants to remove all metal detectors in airports.
- Policy Number 18 states that the ACLU does not like the “restrictive impact on the marketplace of ideas” brought on by the current motion picture rating system, which designates movies G, PG, PG-13, R and X. The ACLU would like to abolish the code. The Guide states that “ … experience has shown that ratings inevitably have serious chilling effects on freedom of expression.”
- Policy Number 84 expresses the ACLU opinion that the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance are a “violation of the constitutional principle of separation of church and state.” They want to remove the phrase.
- Policy Number 210 says that “the introduction of substances into one’s own body” is a civil liberty, and therefore proposes that all drugs, including crack and angel dust, be legalized.
- Professor William Donohue, author of the Politics of the American Civil Liberties Union, states that the ACLU policy manual also favors the removal of “In God We Trust” from all coins – a position taken by Madalyn Murray O’Hare and her American Atheists organization.
How closely connected to the ACLU is Michael Dukakis?
- Dukakis’ campaign manager, Susan Estrich, is a member of the ACLU’s National Board. A long-time ACLU supporter, Estrich is the author of a chapter in the book Our Endangered Rights, an ACLU publication. Her essay, entitled “Sexual Justice” (written with Virginia Kerr), promotes “same sex” marriages and defends the rights of homosexual couples to gain custody of children.
- Estrich, the first woman to ever run a major presidential candidacy, served as an advisor to presidential candidates Ted Kennedy and Walter Mondale. According to Newsweek (June 27, 1988), Estrich’s views are “more liberal than Dukakis.” Her former colleagues describe her as a “redistributionist” who wants to “take from the haves and give to the have nots.”
- Newsweek asked the question, “What would happen to Estrich if Dukakis is elected? She would probably be a prime candidate for attorney general or domestic policy advisor.”
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Give me liberty or give me death!”
Patrick Henry’s famous declaration not only helped launch the War for Independence, it also perfectly summarized the mindset that gave birth to, and sustained, the unprecedented experiment in Christian liberty that was America.
The freedom our Founders envisioned was not freedom from suffering, want, or hard work. Nor was it freedom to indulge every appetite or whim without restraint—that would merely be servitude to a different master. No, the Founders’ passion was to live free before God, unfettered by the chains of autocracy, shackles that slowly but inexorably bind men when the governments they fashion fail to recognize and uphold freedom’s singular, foundational truth: that all men are created in the image of God, and are thereby co-equally endowed with the right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
This presentation is a similar call, not to one but many. By reintroducing the principles of freedom that gave birth to America, it is our prayer that Jesus, the true and only ruler over the nations, will once again be our acknowledged Sovereign, that we may again know and exult in the great truth that “where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty” (2 Cor. 3:17).
Welcome to the Second American Revolution!
This DVD features “Liberty: The Model of Christian Liberty” along with “Dawn’s Early Light: A Brief History of America’s Christian Foundations.” Bonus features include a humorous but instructive collection of campaign ads and Eric Holmberg’s controversial YouTube challenge concerning Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the dreaded beast of Revelation?
Now at last, a plausible candidate for this personification of evil incarnate has been identified (or re-identified). Ken Gentry’s insightful analysis of scripture and history is likely to revolutionize your understanding of the book of Revelation — and even more importantly — amplify and energize your entire Christian worldview!
Historical footage and other graphics are used to illustrate the lecture Dr. Gentry presented at the 1999 Ligonier Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is followed by a one-hour question and answer session addressing the key concerns and objections typically raised in response to his position. This presentation also features an introduction that touches on not only the confusion and controversy surrounding this issue — but just why it may well be one of the most significant issues facing the Church today.
Ideal for group meetings, personal Bible study — for anyone who wants to understand the historical context of John’s famous letter “… to the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:4)
Running Time: 145 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)