By Editorial Staff
Published October 1, 1988
Do You Want A Member of the ACLU as the Next President of the United States?
“I’m a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.”
- Michael Dukakis
New York Magazine
August 17, 1987
What is the ACLU?
- It’s founder, Roger Baldwin, said this in 1920: “I am for socialism, disarmament, and ultimately for abolishing the State itself as an instrument of violence and compulsion. I seek social ownership of property, the abolition of the propertied class, and the sole control of those who produce wealth. Communism is the goal.”
What does the ACLU stand for?
- Among many other things, the ACLU has worked tirelessly for many years to oppose employee drug testing, to abolish the death penalty, to remove laws against homosexual marriage, and to guarantee homosexual couples the right to adopt children. The ACLU also defends the right to distribute child pornography, and opposes the right of governments to conduct covert operations or any other form of clandestine intelligence gathering.
- The Los Angeles chapter of the ACLU recently filed a lawsuit to require the Big Brothers of America to admit homosexuals into its mentor program for fatherless boys.
- The Illinois chapter of the ACLU has defended the “constitutional rights” of a doctor who has AIDS to continue to perform invasive medical procedures on patients.
- The Official Policy Guide of the ACLU, available upon request, spells out its clear agenda for America. Policy Number 242 argues that no one should go to prison, except for such crimes … so serious as murder or treason.
- The ACLU, which receives funding from the Playboy Foundation, has even argued in a Supreme Court case that child pornography is a form of free speech.
- Policy Number 211 states that the ACLU supports the decriminalization of prostitution and opposes state regulation of prostitution.
- The ACLU, in the name of “privacy rights,” also opposes such things as curfew ordinances for juveniles (Policy #206), sobriety road checks (#217), locker searches in high schools for illegal drugs (#76), and searches of people boarding airplanes (#270). The ACLU wants to remove all metal detectors in airports.
- Policy Number 18 states that the ACLU does not like the “restrictive impact on the marketplace of ideas” brought on by the current motion picture rating system, which designates movies G, PG, PG-13, R and X. The ACLU would like to abolish the code. The Guide states that “ … experience has shown that ratings inevitably have serious chilling effects on freedom of expression.”
- Policy Number 84 expresses the ACLU opinion that the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance are a “violation of the constitutional principle of separation of church and state.” They want to remove the phrase.
- Policy Number 210 says that “the introduction of substances into one’s own body” is a civil liberty, and therefore proposes that all drugs, including crack and angel dust, be legalized.
- Professor William Donohue, author of the Politics of the American Civil Liberties Union, states that the ACLU policy manual also favors the removal of “In God We Trust” from all coins – a position taken by Madalyn Murray O’Hare and her American Atheists organization.
How closely connected to the ACLU is Michael Dukakis?
- Dukakis’ campaign manager, Susan Estrich, is a member of the ACLU’s National Board. A long-time ACLU supporter, Estrich is the author of a chapter in the book Our Endangered Rights, an ACLU publication. Her essay, entitled “Sexual Justice” (written with Virginia Kerr), promotes “same sex” marriages and defends the rights of homosexual couples to gain custody of children.
- Estrich, the first woman to ever run a major presidential candidacy, served as an advisor to presidential candidates Ted Kennedy and Walter Mondale. According to Newsweek (June 27, 1988), Estrich’s views are “more liberal than Dukakis.” Her former colleagues describe her as a “redistributionist” who wants to “take from the haves and give to the have nots.”
- Newsweek asked the question, “What would happen to Estrich if Dukakis is elected? She would probably be a prime candidate for attorney general or domestic policy advisor.”
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
“Give me liberty or give me death!”
Patrick Henry’s famous declaration not only helped launch the War for Independence, it also perfectly summarized the mindset that gave birth to, and sustained, the unprecedented experiment in Christian liberty that was America.
The freedom our Founders envisioned was not freedom from suffering, want, or hard work. Nor was it freedom to indulge every appetite or whim without restraint—that would merely be servitude to a different master. No, the Founders’ passion was to live free before God, unfettered by the chains of autocracy, shackles that slowly but inexorably bind men when the governments they fashion fail to recognize and uphold freedom’s singular, foundational truth: that all men are created in the image of God, and are thereby co-equally endowed with the right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
This presentation is a similar call, not to one but many. By reintroducing the principles of freedom that gave birth to America, it is our prayer that Jesus, the true and only ruler over the nations, will once again be our acknowledged Sovereign, that we may again know and exult in the great truth that “where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty” (2 Cor. 3:17).
Welcome to the Second American Revolution!
This DVD features “Liberty: The Model of Christian Liberty” along with “Dawn’s Early Light: A Brief History of America’s Christian Foundations.” Bonus features include a humorous but instructive collection of campaign ads and Eric Holmberg’s controversial YouTube challenge concerning Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“When the lives of the unborn are snuffed out, they often feel pain, pain that is long and agonizing.” – President Ronald Reagan to National Religious Broadcasters Convention, January 1981
Ronald Reagan became convinced of this as a result of watching The Silent Scream – a movie he considered so powerful and convicting that he screened it at the White House.
The modern technology of real-time ultrasound now reveals the actual responses of a 12-week old fetus to being aborted. As the unborn child attempts to escape the abortionist’s suction curette, her motions can be seen to become desperately agitated and her heart rate doubles. Her mouth opens – as if to scream – but no sound can come out. Her scream doesn’t have to remain silent, however … not if you will become her voice. This newly re-mastered version features eight language tracks and two bonus videos.
“… a high technology “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” arousing public opinion just as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 antislavery novel ignited the abolitionist movement.” – Sen. Gordon Humphrey, Time Magazine
Languages: English, Spanish, French, South Korean, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese
Running Time: 28 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
That Swiss Hermit Strikes Again!
Dr. Schaeffer, who was one of the most influential Christian thinkers in the twentieth century, shows that secular humanism has displaced the Judeo-Christian consensus that once defined our nation’s moral boundaries. Law, education, and medicine have all been reshaped for the worse as a consequence. America’s dominant worldview changed, Schaeffer charges, when Christians weren’t looking.
Schaeffer lists two reasons for evangelical indifference: a false concept of spirituality and fear. He calls on believers to stand against the tyranny and moral chaos that come when humanism reigns-and warns that believers may, at some point, be forced to make the hard choice between obeying God or Caesar. A Christian Manifesto is a thought-provoking and bracing Christian analysis of American culture and the obligation Christians have to engage the culture with the claims of Christ.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
God’s Law and Society powerfully presents a comprehensive worldview based upon the ethical system found in the Law of God.
Speakers include: R.J. Rushdoony, George Grant, Howard Phillips, R.C. Sproul Jr., Ken Gentry, Gary DeMar, Jay Grimstead, Steven Schlissel, Andrew Sandlin, Eric Holmberg, and more!
Sixteen Christian leaders and scholars answer some of the most common questions and misconceptions related to this volatile issue:
1. Are we under Law or under Grace?
2. Does the Old Testament Law apply today?
3. Can we legislate morality?
4. What are the biblical foundations of government?
5. Was America founded as a Christian nation?
6. What about the separation of Church and State?
7. Is neutrality a myth?
8. What about non-Christians and the Law of God?
9. Would there be “freedom” in a Christian republic?
10. What would a “Christian America” look like?
Perfect for group instruction as well as personal Bible study.
Ten parts, over four hours of instruction!
Running Time: 240 minutes
Watch over 60 on-line video interviews from God’s Law and Society.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)