By Editorial Staff
Published October 1, 1988
Do You Want A Member of the ACLU as the Next President of the United States?
“I’m a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union.”
- Michael Dukakis
New York Magazine
August 17, 1987
What is the ACLU?
- It’s founder, Roger Baldwin, said this in 1920: “I am for socialism, disarmament, and ultimately for abolishing the State itself as an instrument of violence and compulsion. I seek social ownership of property, the abolition of the propertied class, and the sole control of those who produce wealth. Communism is the goal.”
What does the ACLU stand for?
- Among many other things, the ACLU has worked tirelessly for many years to oppose employee drug testing, to abolish the death penalty, to remove laws against homosexual marriage, and to guarantee homosexual couples the right to adopt children. The ACLU also defends the right to distribute child pornography, and opposes the right of governments to conduct covert operations or any other form of clandestine intelligence gathering.
- The Los Angeles chapter of the ACLU recently filed a lawsuit to require the Big Brothers of America to admit homosexuals into its mentor program for fatherless boys.
- The Illinois chapter of the ACLU has defended the “constitutional rights” of a doctor who has AIDS to continue to perform invasive medical procedures on patients.
- The Official Policy Guide of the ACLU, available upon request, spells out its clear agenda for America. Policy Number 242 argues that no one should go to prison, except for such crimes … so serious as murder or treason.
- The ACLU, which receives funding from the Playboy Foundation, has even argued in a Supreme Court case that child pornography is a form of free speech.
- Policy Number 211 states that the ACLU supports the decriminalization of prostitution and opposes state regulation of prostitution.
- The ACLU, in the name of “privacy rights,” also opposes such things as curfew ordinances for juveniles (Policy #206), sobriety road checks (#217), locker searches in high schools for illegal drugs (#76), and searches of people boarding airplanes (#270). The ACLU wants to remove all metal detectors in airports.
- Policy Number 18 states that the ACLU does not like the “restrictive impact on the marketplace of ideas” brought on by the current motion picture rating system, which designates movies G, PG, PG-13, R and X. The ACLU would like to abolish the code. The Guide states that “ … experience has shown that ratings inevitably have serious chilling effects on freedom of expression.”
- Policy Number 84 expresses the ACLU opinion that the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance are a “violation of the constitutional principle of separation of church and state.” They want to remove the phrase.
- Policy Number 210 says that “the introduction of substances into one’s own body” is a civil liberty, and therefore proposes that all drugs, including crack and angel dust, be legalized.
- Professor William Donohue, author of the Politics of the American Civil Liberties Union, states that the ACLU policy manual also favors the removal of “In God We Trust” from all coins – a position taken by Madalyn Murray O’Hare and her American Atheists organization.
How closely connected to the ACLU is Michael Dukakis?
- Dukakis’ campaign manager, Susan Estrich, is a member of the ACLU’s National Board. A long-time ACLU supporter, Estrich is the author of a chapter in the book Our Endangered Rights, an ACLU publication. Her essay, entitled “Sexual Justice” (written with Virginia Kerr), promotes “same sex” marriages and defends the rights of homosexual couples to gain custody of children.
- Estrich, the first woman to ever run a major presidential candidacy, served as an advisor to presidential candidates Ted Kennedy and Walter Mondale. According to Newsweek (June 27, 1988), Estrich’s views are “more liberal than Dukakis.” Her former colleagues describe her as a “redistributionist” who wants to “take from the haves and give to the have nots.”
- Newsweek asked the question, “What would happen to Estrich if Dukakis is elected? She would probably be a prime candidate for attorney general or domestic policy advisor.”
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper »
Your comments are welcome!
High Quality Paperback — 200 pages
A Reasonable Response to Christian Postmodernism
Includes a response to the book Christian Jihad by Colonel V. Doner
The title of this book is a misnomer. In reality, I am not trying to get anyone to shut up, but rather to provoke a discussion. This book is a warning about the philosophy of “Christian postmodernism” and the threat that it poses not only to Christian orthodoxy, but to the peace and prosperity our culture as well. The purpose is to equip the reader with some basic principles that can be used to refute their arguments.
Part 1 is a response to some of the recent writings by Frank Schaeffer, the son of the late Francis Schaeffer. This was originally written as a defense against Frank’s attacks on pro-life street activism – a movement that his father helped bring into being through his books, A Christian Manifesto, How Should We Then Live? and Whatever Happened to the Human Race? These works have impacted literally hundreds of thousands of Christian activists.
Part 2 is a response to Colonel Doner and his book, Christian Jihad: Neo-Fundamentalists and the Polarization of America. Doner was one of the key architects of the Christian Right that emerged in the 1980s, who now represents the disillusionment and defection many Christian activists experienced in the 1990s and 2000s. There is still great hope for America to be reformed according to biblical principles. As a new generation is emerging, it is important to recognize the mistakes that Christian activists have made in the past even while holding to a vision for the future.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the Real Jesus?
Ever since the dawn of modern rationalism, skeptics have sought to use textual criticism, archeology and historical reconstructions to uncover the “historical Jesus” — a wise teacher who said many wonderful things, but fulfilled no prophecies, performed no miracles and certainly did not rise from the dead in triumph over sin.
Over the past 100 years, however, startling discoveries in biblical archeology and scholarship have all but vanquished the faulty assumptions of these doubting modernists. Regrettably, these discoveries have often been ignored by the skeptics as well as by the popular media. As a result, the liberal view still holds sway in universities and impacts the culture and even much of the church.
The Real Jesus explodes the myths of these critics and the movies, books and television programs that have popularized their views. Presented in ten parts — perfect for individual, family and classroom study — viewers will be challenged to go deeper in their knowledge of Christ in order to be able to defend their faith and present the truth to a skeptical modern world – that the Jesus of the Gospels is the Jesus of history — “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). He is the real Jesus.
Speakers include: George Grant, Ted Baehr, Stephen Mansfield, Raymond Ortlund, Phil Kayser, David Lutzweiler, Jay Grimstead, J.P. Holding, and Eric Holmberg.
Ten parts, over two hours of instruction!
Running Time: 130 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposes the Dangers of Abortion to Women!
These shocking eyewitness accounts expose the dangers of abortion not only to unborn children, but to the health and lives women as well. An antidote to the smokescreens of the liberal media, these short clips show what really happens in and around abortion clinics.
Although the content is emotionally gut-wrenching, these videos have been used in church seminars and small groups to educate Christians on the abortion issue and to lead people toward a pro-life position. Contains 2 hours and 40 minutes of materials that can be shown separately.
Watch these pro-life videos on-line.
“These videos helped change my mind from pro-choice to pro-life. Your videos are what did it for me. I will be walking in next year’s March For Life in San Francisco.” — A. Jackson, California
“I was going to have an abortion until I saw your video. Praise Jesus!”
— M. Drew, YouTube Commenter
$4.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“When the lives of the unborn are snuffed out, they often feel pain, pain that is long and agonizing.” – President Ronald Reagan to National Religious Broadcasters Convention, January 1981
Ronald Reagan became convinced of this as a result of watching The Silent Scream – a movie he considered so powerful and convicting that he screened it at the White House.
The modern technology of real-time ultrasound now reveals the actual responses of a 12-week old fetus to being aborted. As the unborn child attempts to escape the abortionist’s suction curette, her motions can be seen to become desperately agitated and her heart rate doubles. Her mouth opens – as if to scream – but no sound can come out. Her scream doesn’t have to remain silent, however … not if you will become her voice. This newly re-mastered version features eight language tracks and two bonus videos.
“… a high technology “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” arousing public opinion just as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 antislavery novel ignited the abolitionist movement.” – Sen. Gordon Humphrey, Time Magazine
Languages: English, Spanish, French, South Korean, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese
Running Time: 28 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)