By Jay Rogers
Published December 1, 1990
Many nations of the world owe a great debt to England for the spiritual heritage which this great nation has spread all over the world. To England, America owes its government, its liberty and its Christian heritage.
The following list, by no means complete, is an overview of some of the great events which chart the progress of the Gospel in England:
During the latter half of the 14th century, great forces were at work in England. The medieval world was coming to a close but the new world was not yet ready to be born. The black death had killed one-third of the people and though the crusades were over, the Hundred Years War with France was still in progress.
The peasants of England were impatient for a better life. The Church, which had brought civilization and order to medieval England, had grown in wealth and power, but there was also corruption. There were no Bibles in the English language and the Gospel became diluted with superstition and half truths.
- John Wycliffe: Called the “Morning Star” of the Reformation. Through his preaching and writing, John Wycliffe laid the foundation for the successive moves of God in England throughout history. From within the Church, voices akin to Wycliffe began to call for reform.
- William Tyndale: Known as “God’s outlaw,” William Tyndale, under the anointing and power of the Holy Spirit translated the New Testament Greek manuscripts for the very first time into English. He began in 1523, and under a self-imposed exile, William Tyndale, a man hunted for 12 years, running from the Church of England and the King’s secret service, was the first man to print the Bible in English.
- The King James Bible: Was printed 75 years after Tyndale was burned at the stake. Although 50 learned scholars working in ideal conditions over a seven year period would translate the Bible from newfound Hebrew and Greek manuscripts, they still would only make changes in Tyndale’s work amounting to nine percent. All modern scholars agree that the only explanation for this is that Tyndale was yielded to the power of God. Equally notable is the fact that in the process of translating, William Tyndale invented modern English as we know it.
- The Puritans: A movement which sandwiched the English Renaissance, the Puritans came in two waves bringing men like John Bunyan to enrich the spiritual life of England. The second wave of the Puritan revival brought Englishmen to America, first the Pilgrims and then the Massachusetts Bay Company, to plant the first permanent democratic colony in the New World. The Puritans gave America the basis for our politics and ethics as well as our rich Christian heritage.
- William Carey: Father of the world missions movement, launched out across the world to India. In the next 50 years England sent the Gospel to Africa (C.T. Studd and Andrew Murray), to China (Hudson Taylor), to Burma, to Australia, to the Arab world, and to the Caribbean.
- George Mueller: A great man of faith who fed, clothed and educated 2500 orphaned children every day for over 20 years.
- William and Catherine Booth: Founders of the Salvation Army, ultimately sent their missionaries all over the world and, together with Lord Shaftsbury, took on the task of reforming child labor laws in England.
- Charles Spurgeon: Known as one of the greatest theologians of all time. Also from London, Spurgeon was one of the last of the Puritans and is credited with further restoring biblical doctrine to the Church worldwide.
- Evan Roberts: His consecration to prayer for 13 years brought the great Welsh Revival at the turn of this century which brought great social reform to Wales and influenced the Pentecostal revival in the United States.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » History
Your comments are welcome!
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Who is the Real Jesus?
Ever since the dawn of modern rationalism, skeptics have sought to use textual criticism, archeology and historical reconstructions to uncover the “historical Jesus” — a wise teacher who said many wonderful things, but fulfilled no prophecies, performed no miracles and certainly did not rise from the dead in triumph over sin.
Over the past 100 years, however, startling discoveries in biblical archeology and scholarship have all but vanquished the faulty assumptions of these doubting modernists. Regrettably, these discoveries have often been ignored by the skeptics as well as by the popular media. As a result, the liberal view still holds sway in universities and impacts the culture and even much of the church.
The Real Jesus explodes the myths of these critics and the movies, books and television programs that have popularized their views. Presented in ten parts — perfect for individual, family and classroom study — viewers will be challenged to go deeper in their knowledge of Christ in order to be able to defend their faith and present the truth to a skeptical modern world – that the Jesus of the Gospels is the Jesus of history — “the same yesterday, today and forever” (Hebrews 13:8). He is the real Jesus.
Speakers include: George Grant, Ted Baehr, Stephen Mansfield, Raymond Ortlund, Phil Kayser, David Lutzweiler, Jay Grimstead, J.P. Holding, and Eric Holmberg.
Ten parts, over two hours of instruction!
Running Time: 130 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Give me liberty or give me death!”
Patrick Henry’s famous declaration not only helped launch the War for Independence, it also perfectly summarized the mindset that gave birth to, and sustained, the unprecedented experiment in Christian liberty that was America.
The freedom our Founders envisioned was not freedom from suffering, want, or hard work. Nor was it freedom to indulge every appetite or whim without restraint—that would merely be servitude to a different master. No, the Founders’ passion was to live free before God, unfettered by the chains of autocracy, shackles that slowly but inexorably bind men when the governments they fashion fail to recognize and uphold freedom’s singular, foundational truth: that all men are created in the image of God, and are thereby co-equally endowed with the right to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
This presentation is a similar call, not to one but many. By reintroducing the principles of freedom that gave birth to America, it is our prayer that Jesus, the true and only ruler over the nations, will once again be our acknowledged Sovereign, that we may again know and exult in the great truth that “where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty” (2 Cor. 3:17).
Welcome to the Second American Revolution!
This DVD features “Liberty: The Model of Christian Liberty” along with “Dawn’s Early Light: A Brief History of America’s Christian Foundations.” Bonus features include a humorous but instructive collection of campaign ads and Eric Holmberg’s controversial YouTube challenge concerning Mitt Romney’s campaign for president.
$14.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Download the Free Study Guide!
Just what is Calvinism?
Does this teaching make man a deterministic robot and God the author of sin? What about free will? If the church accepts Calvinism, won’t evangelism be stifled, perhaps even extinguished? How can we balance God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility? What are the differences between historic Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism? Why did men like Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, Whitefield, Edwards and a host of renowned Protestant evangelists embrace the teaching of predestination and election and deny free will theology?
This is the first video documentary that answers these and other related questions. Hosted by Eric Holmberg, this fascinating three-part, four-hour presentation is detailed enough so as to not gloss over the controversy. At the same time, it is broken up into ten “Sunday-school-sized” sections to make the rich content manageable and accessible for the average viewer.
Running Time: 257 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)