By Jay Rogers
Published March 31, 2008
OVER 200 YEARS AGO, JONATHAN EDWARDS prophesied that the glory of God would come to our nation and that the whole world would be evangelized as ministers and Christians around the world came together in a concerted effort to pray as a unified body. March for Jesus 1992 is only one such event. God is orchestrating a greater work to bring his Church together in concerts of prayer. Here are a few of the parts which comprise the whole:
- Prayer for revival is becoming a centerpiece instead of preaching and programs in many urban centers such as New York, Los Angeles, Baltimore and Boston. In each area, one or several churches emerge as showcases for a renewal of monthly prayer concerts attended by many local area pastors.
- Times Square Church recently shut down all local programs and activities in order to concentrate exclusively on prayer for the desperate needs of New York City. The 5000 member church, led by pastor David Wilkerson has initiated an effort that is being promoted throughout New York City.
- In Boston, Hispanic, Chinese, Haitian, and African American believers united to pray for racial unity and revival during a concert of prayer in Boston three months ago. The gathering attracted 700 people from over 75 churches, representing 16 denominations.
- In Philadelphia, Christians are uniting in prayer for spiritual awakening as churches prepare for an upcoming Billy Graham crusade. The city has been divided into 35 regions, and each region has its own prayer committee.
- Hundreds of thousands of believers gathered in municipal buildings to pray for America on May 7, just days after tragic incidents erupted in Los Angles and other cities. The American Family Association organized the “Meet at City Hall” events in cities all over America.
- Groups of 70 pastors each gathered in four different cities (Spokane, Washington, Minneapolis, Cleveland, and Colorado Springs) last Fall to pray for nationwide revival. One group met for just half a day, while another spent four full days in prayer and fasting. No one in any of the groups knew that similar meetings had been planned at the same time.
- Southern Baptist leaders are uniting their congregations across the country in what they call “solemn assemblies.” Based on Joel 2, the meetings are calls for repentance and revival.
- Church of God pastors have united to pray for revival. To date the number of participants has climbed to 5000.
- Last Fall, an estimated one million junior and senior high school students prayed for revival during “See You at the Pole,” an event taking place in a circle around public school flag poles before the school day. The event was sponsored by Youth for Christ, Student Venture, and other groups.
Forerunner - Home » The Forerunner Newspaper » Revival and Spiritual Awakening
Your comments are welcome!
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
What is true Revival and Spiritual Awakening?
Discover the answer in this eyewitness account by Dennis Kinlaw, President of Asbury College, Wilmore, Kentucky, who recounts the story of a visitation of the Holy Spirit in 1970. This is the presentation that has continued to spark the flames of Revival in the hearts of people around the world. Contains eyewitness footage from the Revival at Asbury College in 1970 in Wilmore, Kentucky.
Certain to challenge you to greater holiness and a deeper commitment to full-scale revival. Original news and private footage has been included. If you are a student who longs to see a spiritual awakening at your school, you must see this video!
“This simple video does a wonderful job of conveying something of God’s heart and power, Everyone we have ever shown this to has received an immediate impartation of faith for revival and the power of prayer.”
— Bob and Rose Weiner, Weiner Ministries Int’l
Running Time: 40 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
With “preaching to the lost” being such a basic foundation of Christianity, why do many in the church seem to be apathetic on this issue of preaching in highways and byways of towns and cities?
Is it biblical to stand in the public places of the world and proclaim the gospel, regardless if people want to hear it or not?
Does the Bible really call church pastors, leaders and evangelists to proclaim the gospel in the public square as part of obedience to the Great Commission, or is public preaching something that is outdated and not applicable for our day and age?
These any many other questions are answered in this documentary.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“When the lives of the unborn are snuffed out, they often feel pain, pain that is long and agonizing.” – President Ronald Reagan to National Religious Broadcasters Convention, January 1981
Ronald Reagan became convinced of this as a result of watching The Silent Scream – a movie he considered so powerful and convicting that he screened it at the White House.
The modern technology of real-time ultrasound now reveals the actual responses of a 12-week old fetus to being aborted. As the unborn child attempts to escape the abortionist’s suction curette, her motions can be seen to become desperately agitated and her heart rate doubles. Her mouth opens – as if to scream – but no sound can come out. Her scream doesn’t have to remain silent, however … not if you will become her voice. This newly re-mastered version features eight language tracks and two bonus videos.
“… a high technology “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” arousing public opinion just as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 antislavery novel ignited the abolitionist movement.” – Sen. Gordon Humphrey, Time Magazine
Languages: English, Spanish, French, South Korean, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese
Running Time: 28 minutes
$17.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)