Looking at an electoral map of the country, such as the one Dick Morris put out earlier today, it’s hard to see how McCain can lose the 2008 presidential election. History shows that whenever a Democrat wins the presidency, he begins with a sizeable lead in the polls at the time of the Democratic convention. As time inches closer to election day, the Democrat invariably loses ground.
Obama’s lead is one of the slimmest in history this early in the campaign. Although the popular vote shows Obama ahead by 2 percentage points, most of that can be explained by the huge lead he has in California and the Northeast — the bluest of the blue states. For instance, a lead of 15 points among California’s 12 million voters translates into about two million votes. Assuming 100 million Americans will vote on November 4th, the imbalance in California alone accounts for Obama’s slim lead.
Looking at the remaining states on the map, I can’t see how McCain can lose.
1. All McCain has to do is pick off one or two purple states currently in Obama’s column, such as New Mexico or Colorado (or one of the yellow states on Morris’ map) and it will be all over.
2. Pick up both Pennsylvania and Ohio and it’s a sure victory for McCain. He then can afford to lose several of the smaller “swing” states now in contention and still win.
3. The polls for Obama in the primaries showed an effect in which the numbers were inflated compared to where he ended up on election day — in some cases much inflated.
This is explained by the fact that undecided voters will often tell pollsters they support the more liberal candidate, but when these moderates and independents go to the voting booth, they most often shy away from the liberal or progressive candidate and vote for the “safer” moderate or conservative.
Come November 4th, there may be not just a McCain victory, but an electoral college landslide akin to Reagan ’82 and ’84, and Bush ’88.
What McCain needs to do to ensure a Republican landslide
1. Hammer on the fact that Obama is the most liberal of the 100 Senators. McCain voted with the Republicans 90 percent of the time, a slogan that Obama is using to tie McCain to Bush. But this ought to backfire on Obama since he voted with the Democrats nearly 100 percent of the time. By comparison, the Independent “maverick” Joe Lieberman voted at a 90 percent rate with the Democrats — a record the Democrats cited in trying to oust him. McCain needs to run ads showing the Democrats’ hypocrisy on this issue: “How can Obama reach across the aisle if he is so far to the left?”
2. Emphasize McCain’s history of opposing lobbyists and special interest groups while blaming the savings and loan crisis on the Democrat’s reliance on money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to run their campaigns.
3. Counter the perceived strength of the Democrats in the current economic downturn by continuing to preach the theme of a pair of proven reformers who will shake up Washington.
4. Continue to call on George W. Bush to fire a few well-chosed political cronies in Washington as a signal of what McCain/Palin will do when they take office.
5. Portray the McCain/Palin team as representing the common people, while showing Obama/Biden as elitist insiders.
As every jet fighter pilot knows, McCain just needs to gain a slightly higher advantage over his opponent, and then hone in on him from above firing as often and as hard as possible to bring the Democrat campaign down in flames. It’s really a no-brainer.
«- McCain called for reform of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae in May, 2006
- Current Events and Issues
-» Obama Nation? A prediction of the November 4, 2008 Electoral Map
Your comments are welcome!
Foundations in Biblical Eschatology
By Jay Rogers, Larry Waugh, Rodney Stortz, Joseph Meiring. High quality paperback, 167 pages.
All Christians believe that their great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will one day return. Although we cannot know the exact time of His return, what exactly did Jesus mean when he spoke of the signs of His coming (Mat. 24)? How are we to interpret the prophecies in Isaiah regarding the time when “the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea” (Isa. 11:19)? Should we expect a time of great tribulation and apostasy or revival and reformation before the Lord returns? Is the devil bound now, and are the saints reigning with Christ? Did you know that there are four hermeneutical approaches to the book of Daniel and Revelation?
These and many more questions are dealt with by four authors as they present the four views on the millennium. Each view is then critiqued by the other three authors.
$12.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
“Here I stand … I can do no other!”
With these immortal words, an unknown German monk sparked a spiritual revolution that changed the world.
The dramatic classic film of Martin Luther’s life was released in theaters worldwide in the 1950s and was nominated for two Oscars. A magnificent depiction of Luther and the forces at work in the surrounding society that resulted in his historic reform efforts, this film traces Luther’s life from a guilt-burdened monk to his eventual break with the Roman Catholic Church.
Running time: 105 minutes
Special offer: Order 5 or more for $5 each.
Watch a clip from Martin Luther.
$9.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Special Two-Disc Set!
After 40 years of intense study and world-wide ministry, Dr. Francis Schaeffer completed his crowning work of scholarship – to present profound truths in simple film language. Dr. Schaeffer’s brilliant analysis of the past and predictions for current trends have proven so uncannily accurate that this amazing series still feels contemporary almost three decades after its initial release. Ultimately, Schaeffer concludes that man’s only hope is a return to God’s Biblical absolute, the truth revealed in Christ through the Scriptures.
Available for the first time on DVD, this documentary spectacular also includes intimate in-depth conversations with Francis and Edith Schaeffer. With the on-disc study guide, this presentation forms a unique course of comprehensive study. While this series forms an innovative analysis of the past, this outstanding work is more than history. Each episode focuses on a significant era, yet speaks clearly to 21st-century man with answers for modern problems.
$49.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
That Swiss Hermit Strikes Again!
Dr. Schaeffer, who was one of the most influential Christian thinkers in the twentieth century, shows that secular humanism has displaced the Judeo-Christian consensus that once defined our nation’s moral boundaries. Law, education, and medicine have all been reshaped for the worse as a consequence. America’s dominant worldview changed, Schaeffer charges, when Christians weren’t looking.
Schaeffer lists two reasons for evangelical indifference: a false concept of spirituality and fear. He calls on believers to stand against the tyranny and moral chaos that come when humanism reigns-and warns that believers may, at some point, be forced to make the hard choice between obeying God or Caesar. A Christian Manifesto is a thought-provoking and bracing Christian analysis of American culture and the obligation Christians have to engage the culture with the claims of Christ.
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)
Exposing The Occult Roots of Abortion
This presentation looks at the spiritual roots of abortion and exposes the myths surrounding child killing. Little known historical facts about abortion and how they relate to modern feminism are presented logically and accurately. Has been effective in converting many to a pro-life position.
Massacre of Innocence goes where no pro-life presentation has gone before in “tearing the lid off abortion” to reveal the spiritual realities we must battle if we will bring an end to this crime. The presentation is absorbing, fast-paced, informative and incredibly devastating to any attempt to justify abortion.
“… an extraordinary statement … a powerfully articulate presentation about what abortion really means, and why a great and moral nation like the United States must not allow the slaughter to continue.”
— Congressman Robert K. Dornan
Running time: 85 minutes
$19.95 — ORDER NOW!(We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.)