My faith in Jesus Christ is real, not because I believe, but because God sovereignly regenerated me and gave me the gift of faith.
Truth is transcendent and is not subject to the “proofs” of our rational thought processes. That is, something is “true” not because we are able to prove it, but we are able to prove some truth simply because it is true. Truth is transcendent. And there will always remain some truth that is unknown and unknowable.
At the same time I am a reasonable person. If someone could offer incontrovertible evidence that the message of the Gospel was false, I’d be obliged to believe it. Of course, as a finite being, I could be deceived into believing anything. But given the handicap of limited knowledge, I am forced to believe what is rational, reasonable and logical to me.
I believe that God is perfectly rational, logical and reasonable. In any case, I know for a fact that world I live in is a rational ordered universe that is subject to universal natural laws.
I can think of five “deal breakers” by which evolutionary theory would render orthodox Christianity meaningless. I might still believe in a “God” if these evolutionary deal breakers could be demonstrated to be factual. But it could not be the God of the Bible incarnate in Jesus Christ.
If evolution is true, there is no original sin. If there is no original sin, Jesus’ death on the cross was an arbitrary event. It might serve as an example to us, but it could never be a source of redemption and salvation.
The Five Deal Breakers
1. Prove by the laws of physics that the material universe suddenly appeared out of nothing. Or prove that the universe always existed.
2. Prove that life can be synthesized out of non-life by creating a cell in a laboratory.
3. Bio-engineer a new life form that is a totally different genus from the original.
4. Prove hominid evolution. In other words, humans are genetically human. Apes are genetically apes. There is a huge gulf. Prove a third form existed that bridges the gap. It can be neither genetically human nor ape, but a third genus.
5. Discover life on other planets that could not have come from earth — especially highly developed or sentient life forms.
Any of these would disprove the Genesis account as being factual and would prove that evolution is not only possible but probable.
I’d like these to forever be known as “Jay Rogers’ Five Evolutionary Deal Breakers.”
I’ll let them stand for 113 years.
By 2121 A.D. if none of “Jay Rogers’ Five Evolutionary Deal Breakers” can be demonstrated soundly, I propose that the Darwinian theory of evolution be buried once and for all. If I am still alive at age 159, I’ll bring the dirt.